Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Kaye's Photos from Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa - July 2006 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/kayes-photos-from-botswana-zimbabwe-and-south-africa-july-2006-a-642898/)

KayeN Aug 29th, 2006 05:42 PM

Kaye's Photos from Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa - July 2006

Dear Everyone,

It was suggested to me to repost my photo link as a new thread.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...1&y=12k3lo

Hope you like some of them!

Kind regards,

Kaye

jenn24 Aug 29th, 2006 05:54 PM

Kaye,

What wondeful photos! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Jenn

cooncat3 Aug 29th, 2006 06:30 PM

They are fabulous. I'm getting confused with my reports, but didn't you mention you weren't "a birder?" Despite that, you got some lovely bird shots - and you know the species! If I've got you confused with someone else, sorry about that!

Thanks for posting. Love the leopards, too...

Sharon

KayeN Aug 29th, 2006 08:23 PM

Hi Jenn

Thanks for looking.

Hi Sharon,

Yes you are right I am not a birder, but if anything is close enough I will get it. I am slowly becoming closer to a reluctant birder. At home, my photography consists 90% of birds, as we do have some beautiful birds.

You have just brought to mind something I am curious about. I have a 14 year old niece staying at the moment and I was looking up flying fish, that is beside the point, but Madeline said to go to Wikipedia, which I did and three names were on my screen : Cooncat3, Selwyn and Ottawa Pride and I said to Made that I knew those 3 people, well I don't really know them, but I know of them, the last being a lion pride at Singita, so how odd is that? Freaky as Made said!

Kind regards,

Kaye

atravelynn Aug 30th, 2006 10:00 AM

I've looked at the first approx half. You excel in the bird photography and even managed to get a bird kill with the fish eagles. The hippo at sunset/rise is outstanding. Many good leopard shots, as well as the serval, a favorite of mine.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

cw Aug 30th, 2006 02:15 PM

Kaye,

Your photos are fabulous. Despite your saying you are not a birder, you're providing me with a primer on bird identication. Beautiful photos.

I loved the hippo yawning at sunset, the view from the Matetsi dining area, and the eles drinking from the river. The photos of Londolozi are superb, but I loved the serval, and the lion cubs.

CW

KayeN Aug 31st, 2006 02:59 AM

Thanks Lyn and cw,

Perhaps I should stop the denial about being a birder and just accept the obvious, as I have about 40 photos being framed now for an Australian bird wall, otherwise the house would only have african animals and birds on the walls.

Kind regards,
Kaye

dmjapril Aug 31st, 2006 04:11 AM

Hi Kaye

I can only re-iterate what everybody else has said - these photos are amazing. It's only in the past year that I have learnt to use an slr camera and your photos are an inspiration. The shallow depth of field shots are fab! What lenses did you use?

OnlyMeOirish Aug 31st, 2006 05:14 AM

Oh Kaye,
Those are beautiful pictures and I concur with the others re the birds and hippo. I also especially love the leopard cub with his head between the tree trunks and the very last one. Just beautiful!

Imelda

wildebeestus Aug 31st, 2006 06:13 AM

Peaceful water lilies on the Okavango Delta, the water pan shots, rushing waters of Vic Falls - verrry beautiful!! And your animals, a virtual delight - the hippo grubs, the sable bull, the yawning hippo at sunset, the ellies sharing a water "toast" - you captured some wonderful wildlife shots!!! The surprise of my first trip to Africa was the elaborate and bright coloring of the birds - your photos record that great variety. Thanks for sharing. Deb

atravelynn Aug 31st, 2006 01:14 PM

I loved the 3 zebra heads and the dainty kudu doe. You got the shimmer in the purple crest of the purple crested turacao! Some excellent leopard action too. Cute baby lions. The genet was a great shot too.

Despite some disappointments in the trip you added nicely to your photo collection.

Leely Aug 31st, 2006 01:31 PM

I was trying to wait 'til I caught up with your report (I got up to leaving Bots)...but I couldn't resist.

In terms of photos, you got great shots despite not being overwhelmed with game in Botswana. I enjoyed these very much.

KayeN Sep 1st, 2006 03:54 AM

Hi dmjapril,

Thanks for your kind words - I have a Panasonic FZ30. It does get a lot of use even when I am home - I take 100's of photos every week, always thinking I can do better - the local wildlife appreciates the peace when I am in Africa!

Hi Imelda,

The leopard cubs are one and the same, a young male cub!

Thanks Deb and Lyn, when I take so many, it was over 2000 photos, the law of averages of some good ones is certainly in my favour, and I do love taking animals, and yes, I do love taking the birds as well - getting a good bird shot is a great challenge!

You are right, Leely - the lack of game in Botswana and Zimbabwe, does mean a lot of birds, as I need to be taking photos of something!

Kind regards,

Kaye

brandywine Sep 1st, 2006 04:20 AM

Wow Kaye, you have some fantastic photos!

Mike14c Sep 1st, 2006 05:15 AM

These are just fantastic. You must have had a maevellous trip. Yke leopard photos alone have sold me on Londolozzi!!

Mike

atravelynn Sep 1st, 2006 10:58 AM

Kaye,

You are right that the bird shots are a really big challenge. I have only a few bird "keeper shots" from my last trip.

At least digital makes that a less costly challenge.

Did you state what is up next for you? And when?

Kavey Sep 1st, 2006 11:24 AM

Wow! All your photos are great but I'm blown away by your bird shots! Not only have you captured the birds in perfect poses with great composition, the lighting and detail is spot on! Thank you so much for sharing!

KayeN Sep 1st, 2006 06:30 PM

Hi Brandywine & Mike,

Thanks for your comments and overall I did have a great trip - never had a bad one, just experiences I would not be doing again!

Hi Lyn,

I am off 27 December, with a 20 year old niece, Rachael. We have 3 nights at Lion Sands, then 4 nights at MalaMala main camp, then 4 nights at Rattrays then finish off with another 10 nights at main camp. I am really looking forward to it, as it will be nearly a year since I have been to MalaMala, and I have really missed it!

And Kavey, you are welcome, but I do have an awful lot of rejects and it is a real learning experience which I work at nearly every day!

Kind regards,

Kaye