Best time to visit Zanzibar?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2015, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to visit Zanzibar in 2016. I have heard June and July are good times, but have also heard good things about February. I'm interested in diving so Id like to visit when the diving is best. IVE heard things about humidity in February and it being unbarebaly hot, however I have experienced Florida humidity in 38 degrees Celsius. So which time is the best to visit? Any advice would be helpful
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 11:28 AM

The coast/islands are tropical, thus hot & humid year-round. The period Dec-Mar is considered 'summer' thus daytime temps can be at least 100-degrees if not higher and the humidity not much less. For any accommodations I'd suggest resorts w/ a/c if only for sleeping unless you enjoy waking in a puddle of water soaked sheets.

June-July-Aug, still tropical but daytime temps and humidity are somewhat lower and some indicate the better time to visit. We were in June and it was brutal everywhere and as a New Yorker are quite used to 'ugly' summer weather.

However, we all deal with weather differently, but if most of your time will be spent 'under water' you should be just fine. Sitting on a beach or at a pool (unless under a tree) though can be a killer.

So guess it's your decision.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Sandi, Is the weather quite rainy in June? I looked into June and it had the best deals, I thought this could have been due to the weather. Can you give me information as to what the weather was like when you were there?
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 11:45 AM

June is the end of the 'short' rains, however, we only had a brief shower one morning after breakfast... maybe 10/min. We headed to the bar! Nothing in the afternoons or evenings/nights.

But you have to remember that 'weather is weather... whether it will or whether is would not?' Nowadays, one can never be assured regardless wherever you are in the world! Even in so-called 'dry' seasons, some wet is not unusual.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 07:21 PM

There was no rain for my 7 days in mid June 2011, just hot & humid.

It's a very beautiful place and altho many say not to spend more than a day in Stonetown I really enjoyed my 3 days in old Stonetown just hanging out.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Would it be better if i visited Early June or waited until the end of June or maybe even July? What was the average temperature also?
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 02:32 PM

We were there during early June and it was awfully hot (in the 90s) and really really humid.

I usually handle beach environments pretty well, but gave up staying on the beach at Phuket (Thailand) after 10/min... just too brutal; and when at the Seychelles, if not for the periodic showers, would have also have given up if only sun was beating down.

So, only you know how well you do in such an environment.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Ok, apparently February is worse so I guess June it is! Thank you for all your help also
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 02:20 PM

How about for snorkeling? Would that be July do you think?