Kasbah-desert trip for acraphobic

Jan 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Kasbah-desert trip for acraphobic

We are an older couple not interested in hiking, but interested in adventure. I have always been fascinated by the tall mud wall compounds I understand are part of some oasis Kasbahs (Yes, like the ones they show in the Movies). But in reading the threads here, I am afraid that to reach some we have to go over mountain passes that my have sheer drop offs. My husband is very very afraid of heights. We would be going (yes, we will get a guide) from Fez or Marrakech, and it would be nice to ride a camel too, and even sleep in the desert in a tent if comfortable for these old bones. Ideas?
Jan 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM

The oasis kasbahs are beautiful and worth seeing, but it true, you will have to cross the mountains to get there.

Maybe the best thing would be to travel from Fes, since the Middle Atlas passes are not as scary as the High Atlas passes from Marrakech (I'm not afriad of heights, but the Tizi-n-Test pass nearly gave me a heart attack!). From Fes, you could go straight to Merzouga to stay in the Sahara. For a comfortable excursions, I'd contact Auberge Kasbah Derkaoua (also known as Chez Michel). They do quality excursions and have a charming desert inn.

Search this Thread