Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > kasaka river lodge&luangwa river lodge what rooms should I request?

kasaka river lodge&luangwa river lodge what rooms should I request?

Jul 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

kasaka river lodge&luangwa river lodge what rooms should I request?

My safari is set, thanks to all of you on this board who have convinced me that I do want to go to Africa. This is my mom's dream trip so I am trying to make it special. We have booked just recently for this september in Zambia, Some of the places we wanted to stay were full. Here is our itinerary.
2 nights Stanley Safari Lodge with ultralight flight over falls.

3 nights Kasaka River Lodge
2 Nights Chikoko Bush camp
4 night Luangwa River Lodge
Does anyone have a favorite room we should request? also we want to do a 3-4 hour canoe trip while at Kasaka, it appears they offer this, but I read somewhere you have to arrange ahead of time, is this true? any help is appreciated. Thank you
Jul 24th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Sandy, make sure you do a trip report when you get back, I'll be at Stanley and Luangwa River Lodge in October, (chose Chongwe over Kasaka) and want to hear all about it! Have a great trip!
Jul 24th, 2005, 06:06 PM

sandy,

The best room at Kasaka River Lodge will be the honeymoon suite, although I don't know if you want to share a king bed. It has a shower that overlooks the Zambezi River and I believe it is a bit larger than the other tents and possibly a bit more luxurious. There should be NO EXTRA CHARGE for this room...if it has not been requested by anyone else before you for the dates you will be there, then Kasaka will more than likely allow you to have it.

I had the chance to stop by and personally see Kasaka River Lodge last year when I was returning to Royal Zambezi airstip from Kulefu Tented Camp. It is a beautiful camp, and most every luxury tent seems to enjoy a nice view of the Zambezi.

I would just let your agent know that you would like to do canoeing. In September, I am guessing that Kasaka will be near capacity, so I would not risk it by waiting until you are in camp to request canoeing. Who knows, maybe by then ten other guests will have requested it, and they will not have the necessary number of guides or canoes to accomodate your mom and you.

Canoeing at the luxury camps such as Kasaka (and Kulefu) is done with one guest in each canoe and one guide in the same canoe. This, in my opinion, is absolutely necessary, as you will encounter literally hundreds of hippos and dozens of Nile Crocodiles...but it is an AMAZING experience. I did a couple half day canoeing trips at Kulefu last year, and, BY FAR, the canoeing was the highlight of the stay. SO MANY interesting birds...my personal favorite is the Blacksmith Plover, who makes a sound like a Blacksmith hammering away!

You have a really nice itinerary. What did your final dates turn out to be?

I will be at Kasaka from Sept 01 - 03 and then move right over to Chongwe for Sept 04 - 06, followed by Luangwa River Lodge from Sept 07 - 09 and concluding with Puku Ridge from Sept 10 - 12.

I see that you are spending two nights at Chikoko. I tried to get Tafika, instead of Puku Ridge, but it was unavailable for my dates.

You are going to love South Luangwa and the Lower Zambezi!
Jul 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rocco for the info. I will be arriving on sept 9, to stanley safari lodge so it looks like we will miss each other. I also tried to book Tafika but it was booked.

Search this Thread