Karen's Egypt photos

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Karen's Egypt photos

Daughter Julie and I are just back from Egypt and had a wonderful time. This trip was delayed from October because I had to have shoulder surgery - it was worth the wait!

I'll start a trip report in the next few days (in a separate thread), but thought I'd get some photos online first. For now, here are Cairo and Alexandria. I'll be adding Aswan (including Abu Simbel) and Luxor soon - will let you know. Meantime, enjoy:

http://kbutler1122.zenfolio.com/f309561202

Karen
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful pictures!
This is a place high on my "gotta get to soon" list. I just seem to have trouble pulling the trigger and going, just a bit out of my comfort zone. But I can see your joy thru your photos, so perhaps it's time to start planning.

Loved the series of pics while you were getting off the camel. And the marketplace - very nice!

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM

Beautiful photos. What kind of camera do you use?

Sara
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:27 AM

Hi - I loved your pictures. I was in Egypt last month and had a great time. It looks like you did too. Looking foward to the rest of your pics and report.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Sara, I use two cameras: a Sony DSC-H2 and a Canon SD 700. I've been happy with both.

I hope to get Aswan online soon.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 01:44 AM

You really have a great eye for what makes a good photo. Those shots from the falouka of the other boats through the rigging are fabulous!
Glad you had a great time!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Excellent pictures! You have a great eye. Can't wait to read your report.
Did you need to give baksheesh for any of your 'people' pictures?

I love the sheesha pix - I have to forward them to my mom. She thought we were all smoking opium or something on our trip last spring - she wouldn't give it a try!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Debbie - thanks and nice to hear from you! We did indeed have a great time - thanks in part to you!

Leslie - thanks. I did give baksheesh for a few of the pictures, but in most cases, no. It depended on the situation and what felt right to me at the time. Most of the kid's pictures I took, they didn't seem to expect anything. A few of the men in traditional robes - especially at tourist sites - yes, they did. And I'd give them a pound (20 cents). I played it by ear and always asked first by motioning with my camera. More often than not, they nodded yes. And the kids were often downright tickled (and wanted our picture in return). Some kids did want baksheesh, and I obliged. In a few cases, people solicited having their picture taken for money, and those I'd turn down. If I was far away and using my zoom lens or if it was a group of people and it didn't seem I was singling out an individual, then I didn't ask if I could take the photo. I never had any incidents, so I guess I did it ok. I just tried to used common sense and courtesy.

And, as you noticed, my Aswan pictures are now out there. Just one more set - Luxor - and they'll be the hardest because I have so many hot air balloon pics! Will add a reply here when I have them online. Then I guess I'll have to get busy on that trip report!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Ok, Luxor is now online.

I may tweak a little more, but I'm pretty well done. It was hard doing Luxor because I took so many while we were ballooning. I hope you all enjoy them!

Next up - trip report. Tomorrow...
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Beautiful photos Karen. You have a keen eye for the interesting and different perspective. Loved the balloons (and the bubbles!) over Luxor. We saw a few, early one morning from our cruise ship, but I had no idea there were so many. We should have done that! looking forward to the trip report. Thanks again.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM

Hi Karen - I now looked through all your photos. They were wonderful. Even though my photo album contains many similar pictures, I find that I am fascinated by any images of Egypt I can view. Thanks for posting them.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM

Loved the hot air balloon picture - incredible!
Wish I'd been brave enough to do that on our trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM

Great pictures! We are going to Egypt in two weeks, and your pictures gave me good ideas about what to see and what to photograph.