Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Just Returned from Israel & Cairo (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/just-returned-from-israel-and-cairo-63161/)

Ron Feb 20th, 2000 04:56 AM

Just Returned from Israel & Cairo

I just returned from a 2week stay in Israel and Cairo. While in Jerusalem I stayed at the Allenby2 B&B. The irrepressible owner, Danny Flax, is friendly, helpful and a fountain of knowledge for travel advice throughout Israel. He can be found at www.bnb.co.il/allenby. <BR>I also stayed near Tiberias at the Shavit Guesthouse in Mt. Arbel. The accommodations were excellent, the scenery magnificent and the Shavits are friendly, gracious and attentive hosts. I cannot recommend this guesthouse too highly. They are at www.members.tripod.com/~shavit/ or [email protected]. In my brief visit to Cairo, I made all my travel arrangements with Viking Travel. They provided transportation, a knowledgeable guide and my accommodation at the Victoria Hotel. Everything about this tour company is first class except the price which I found very reasonable. You can contact them at www.vikingegypt.com. <BR> <BR>Ron

Judy Feb 20th, 2000 11:12 AM

Hi Ron, <BR>We're scheduled to stay at the Allenby #2 in two weeks. I'm not expecting luxury, but am concerned that the beds and pillows are comfortable. What did you think? <BR>Also, in the past we've always stayed in a more central location in Jerusalem. Just wondering how you found the area around the Allenby B&B and the transportation into the central New City and to the Old City. And what does it mean to be irrepressible????? <BR>Thanks--

Ron Feb 23rd, 2000 02:49 PM

Hi Judy, <BR>Regarding your questions about the Allenby, the mattresses are very firm and the pillows satisfactory. I slept well there. <BR>You can get a local bus just 2-3 mins walk from the Allenby which will take you to the gates of the old city. If you like to walk it is an easy 30 minute walk down Jaffa St. to the Jaffa gate. Along the way there are numerous restaurants and a wonderful produce market near King George St. <BR>Irrepressible means that Danny Flax, the owner, goes out of his way to offer advice and suggestions to make your visit to Jerusalem and Israel a wonderful experience. <BR>Enjoy your stay, I certainly did. <BR>Ron <BR>

Judy Feb 24th, 2000 04:42 AM

Ron, <BR>Thanks for the reassurances... Although we've been to Israel several times, this will be our first stay at a B&B and I was concerned that we'd be reasonably comfortable. <BR>Judy <BR>

Scott Feb 25th, 2000 08:07 AM

I also just got back last week from 2 weeks in Israel & Cairo. We stayed on a fantastic kibbutz north of Tiberias called Aleyat Hashahar. It is about 6-10 km south of Kiryat Shimona on the same road. The building we were in was newly renovated;we were the first to use the new room. It was $112 USD per night including a gigantic buffet breakfast. We booked our Cairo tour with Arkia Tours when we arrived in Tel Aviv and that also worked out well. Cairo was great/exotic and you must go to Fishawi's (at Khan kalili bazaar) for tea/coffee and shisha smoking.

Lynn Feb 28th, 2000 05:58 PM

First time here..and headed for Israel for the first time in May. Will be there for a month. I'm hoping to average $40 per night per room. What are the costs at the Allenby, and any other suggestions? <BR>Thanks

Rosemary Mar 8th, 2000 05:36 PM

Ron, you're just the person to ask a question of. We'll be in Jerusalem on a Wed, Thu, Fri and Sat. nights in March. Are shops and Old Town open late in the evenings for people to stroll around? My guidebook says no, but my memory of a trip about 10 years is that we went downtown one evening anad it was alive with people. I wonder if it still is, and if Friday night is an exception. <BR> <BR>Our tour company proposed taking us to the Wall on Friday, but I was afraid a group of American tourists might not be welcome there on the Jewish Sabbath. <BR> <BR>Would appreciate a reply if you can. We leave in one week. <BR> <BR>Rosemary

debra Apr 17th, 2000 05:50 AM

The Jewish Sabbath starts on sundown Friday, so if you're going during the day it's not a problem.