Just returned from Egypt - independently!!

Aug 31st, 2000, 06:53 PM
Mary

Just returned from Egypt - independently!!

I would LOVE to share my Egyptian experiences with anyone who would like to ask any questions. My husband and I traveled independently (no organized tour) and can provide others with insight others may not be able to.

Aug 31st, 2000, 07:19 PM
carol

I would LOVE to hear anything you have to say! We're planning a trip in November on our own and are having trouble buying Egypt Air tickets for flights within Egypt and deciding on a cruise. We're traveling with our 2 boys, ages 8 and 13. You can e-mail me direct, but I posted here, so others can see what your experiences were. Thanks so much. Carol

Sep 1st, 2000, 06:23 PM
jodi

I too will post this for others info. For Air Egypt flights within the country. Contact Peace Travel. Ramy El Shawan is the owner. PH: 2473833 or 2411776(get it?) or 2492998. They were fabulous getting me flights all over to me what, to me, were VIP timing issues. The manager is Randa el Mastry @ 249-9045 and she was my contact but this is her home and I would not contact her there unless you are desperate. And, remember when you fly to Abu sit on the left side of the plane on the way up and you will look right out a the temples as you fly in. And, bring a flashlight to Abu. I was with a tour group but ended up as a group of one and was very lucky in being able to manipulate things to suit me. Jodi

Sep 1st, 2000, 06:28 PM
Jodi

oops! Just found the e-mail for Peace [email protected]
FX202)2451919
Address:4,Ismail Sabry St.
Heliopolis, Cairo,Egypt
More phones:202 2473833 and 202 243-8235
They got me flights when no one else could. Jodi

Sep 1st, 2000, 06:38 PM
CAROL

Thanks, Jodi. Did you contact them from the U.S. or after you got to Egypt? I'm afraid if I wait, the flights I need to Abu Simbel will be sold out.

Sep 3rd, 2000, 03:52 AM
Irene

I too would love to hear from anyone who has traveled independently. (Mary, I just e-mailed you in response to a different message then read this one!) I now have enough brochures from different tour companies on my coffee table to wallpaper an entire room! I feel like Goldilocks - some trips are too long, some are too expensive, some are too regimented, etc. We'd like to do 9-10 days in Egypt and 5 days in Jordan (which we've gotten some great advice on). Looking at late March/early April next year. Thanks!

Sep 3rd, 2000, 04:49 PM
elinor friedman

To Irene-

I have tried writing to your email address, but I cannot get it delivered. You are unknown. I am sending it to
([email protected]). Am I missing something?

I am desperately seeking help re Jordan for I do not know if things are going the way they should be with a travel agency in Jordan and would like to know what you have come up with.

If you could, I would appreciate whatever info you might have. This has truly been a saga.

If you could, you can respond to my email address.

Thanks much in advance.

ellie

Sep 4th, 2000, 07:51 AM
michele

Ellie,
Black Iris Tours in Jordan comes highly recommended from a past poster. Have you tried them? If not, I have the address somewhere in my ever-growing stack on information.

Michele

Sep 5th, 2000, 02:39 AM
Irene

Hi Ellie, that e-mail address should work. I received a reply from someone else regarding my posting. Black Iris Tours (as mentioned by Michele) was recommended by Lee who is using their services in October. I got a very reasonable quote from them on the itinerary I was interested in and will forward that to you to give you an idea. Good luck!

Sep 5th, 2000, 08:18 AM
vici

This message is to help Carol with her flight bookings and whatever else she needs!

I will also try emailing you directly.

I live in Cairo and someone I know offers completely tailored tours for Egypt. His email is [email protected] and his name is Sherif El Husseini. He can sort out eveything you require in Egypt, even if its only flights.

Sep 8th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Ashley

Hi. My boyfriend and I spent 17 days in Egypt, on our own, June 2000. It was very liberating going on our own, where we didn't speak the language. We went to Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel and Sharm el Sheikh. I would be happy to answer questions. bye

Sep 9th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Laurie

Mary,
I have a few questions for you:
1. do you think Egypt is safe for a woman travelling alone?
2. what are the sites you would say are "must sees"?
3. what do most people purchase to bring home?
4. is it expensive to stay in Cairo?
Any help you can provide is much appreciated!

Sep 20th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Mary

LAURIE,
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS, FROM MY EXPERIENCE:

1. do you think Egypt is safe for a woman travelling alone? YES. I NEVER FELT THREATENED OR ILL-AT-EASE. I THINK, THAT TRAVELING ALONE, YOU NEED TO PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO YOUR DRESS AND MAKE SURE YOU APPEAR CONFIDENT. I WAS ACCUSED OF BEING AN ARAB WOMAN MANY TIMES BECAUSE OF MY DETERMINED-NESS (I TOOK IT AS A COMPLIMENT)!

2. what are the sites you would say are "must sees"? EVERYONE WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU MUST SEE ABU SIMBEL, BUT WE DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME TO FIT IT IN. BESIDES, IT WAS FAIRLY EXPENSIVE (SINCE YOU CAN ONLY FLY) AND THE TIME SPENT THERE IS LIMITED TO JUST A COUPLE OF HOURS.

I WOULD SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING:
1. PYRAMIDS -- OBVIOUSLY -- AND IF YOU CAN GET TICKETS AND ARE NOT TOO CLAUSTROPHIC -- GO INSIDE THE GREAT PYRAMID (CHEOPS).
2. EGYPTIAN MUSEUM -- OBVIOUSLY -- IT'S WHERE ALL THE GREAT ARTIFACTS ARE.
3. A CARPET FACTORY IN SAKKARA -- THEY ARE NUMEROUS AND IT'S WORTH SEEING WHAT THEY ARE REALLY LIKE.
4. IF YOUR CHRISTIAN, SEEK OUT THE HIDING SPOTS OF THE DIVINE FAMILY (COPTIC CHURCH, ETC.) ALSO, MT. SINAI ON SINAI (STAY IN SHARM EL SHEIKH). DIDN'T DO THE MOSQUES BECAUSE WE ONLY HAD TIME FOR ONE OR THE OTHER AND WE CHOSE THE COPTIC SITES.
5. LUXOR -- EVERYTHING!
6. SUEZ CANAL -- JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE THERE AND WOULDN'T IT BE A SHAME NOT TO SEE IT?
7. THE COUNTRYSIDE -- TO SEE HOW THE EGYPTIANS REALLY LIVE -- OUTSIDE OF CAIRO!

THE LIST GOES ON, BUT YOU'LL FIND THINGS THAT YOU LOVE AND THINGS YOU DIDN'T THINK WERE SO GREAT. WE LOVED IT ALL, BUT AFTER A WHILE, WE WERE ARTIFACT-ED AND TOMB-ED OUT!

3. what do most people purchase to bring home?

RUGS ARE MADE BY SMALL CHILDREN AND UNLESS YOU WANT TO PROMOTE THAT INDUSTRY AND WAY OF LIFE, DON'T BUY A RUG. ESSENCE OIL IS BIG THERE AND IT SMELLS FABULOUS! ALABASTER FROM LUXOR IS A PRETTY GOOD DEAL, I THOUGHT, THOUGH I DIDN'T BUY ANY (WISH I HAD). MAKE SURE IT IS REAL, THOUGH. DATE TREES ARE ALL OVER, THOUGH YOU PROBABLY WON'T GET THEM BACK TO THE US (AGRICULTURE ITEM!). THE PAPER THEY PAINT ON (I CANNOT THINK OF THE NAME OF IT FOR THE LIFE OF ME RIGHT NOW) IS A NEAT SOUVENIR, BUT, AGAIN, MAKE SURE IT IS REAL.

4. is it expensive to stay in Cairo?

DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU STAY AND WHEN YOU GO. WE STAYED AT THE MENA HOUSE (BASE OF PYRAMIDS) IN A WONDERFUL (!) ROOM -- BOOKED AS A "RUN OF THE HOUSE" ROOM -- IN AUGUST, 2000 AND PAID ONLY $145/NIGHT. THE NILE HILTON, WHICH IS ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE EGYPTIAN MUSEUM IS VERY NICE WITH A GOOD LOCATION AND IT WAS COMPARABLE. WE STAYED AT THE MENA HOUSE THAT NIGHT BECAUSE WE WERE DOING THE PYRAMIDS THE NEXT MORNING AND I WANTED TO BE CLOSE. WE MADE RESERVATIONS AT A HOTEL CLOSE TO THE AIRPORT (NAME ??? CAN'T REMEMBER NOW) FOR THE EVENING BEFORE OUR FLIGHT BACK TO GREECE (AT 6 AM!!!) BUT ENDED UP CANCELLING FOR ANOTHER NIGHT AT THE MENA! IT WAS GREAT! WE SAT ON OUR BALCONY AND WATCHED THE LIGHTS SHINE ON THE PYRAMIDS.

Search this Thread