Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Just returned from EGYPT! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/just-returned-from-egypt-70189/)

MJD Apr 28th, 2000 09:55 AM

Just returned from EGYPT!

Hi, <BR> <BR>Egypt is a load of fun with laugh after laugh and small problems occuring all the time. Do not fret, this is not a first world country! We flew from Brussels with a tour for $590 including air, 5 star hotel and airport transfers. My friend and I(2 women 24 and 25) traveled there for 8 days staying in Hurghada and then buying our tours from our hotel travel agent for 160$ total. We did everything we wanted to see: Cairo by super small tour (6 people total), Luxor (6 people total), safari to see the Benduin people and a day on the Red Sea. ( marvoulous fish not to MISS) <BR> <BR>Do not be scared to travel to Egypt. The people are so friendly and just wanted to talk talk talk!!! We were apprehensive about going and worried about what to wear, what tours to get and how not to get swindled. The bottom line is that no matter what they will make money off of you, so name the price you are willing to pay and if they do not like it walk away and I will BET they will sell it to you. <BR> <BR>Every book I read talked about clothing, but I had to laugh at myself when I arrived and when I toured around. I saw women in very revealing clothing shaking their butts and TRYING to attract attention. So just wear comfortable, light weight basic clothing. It will get nice and dirty! Long skirts, sun dresses and things work nicely for Cairo. <BR> If you go walking in Hurghada at night you can still wear sun dresses and similar things. <BR>Safety was a huge concern of mine before I left. However, after my first few hours there I realized that it was way overblown and was very happy I did not let the books I read keep me from traveling there. They are taken by the looks of woman who do not resemble their own. They love eyes! I have traveled a lot so I knew how to behave and not to put myself in dumb situations. Just follow basic travel rules. <BR> <BR>You will need to watch yourselves 24/7 becasue everyone will try to sell you something or take you to his friends store where he will get a cut of the money. In the shops they are VERY pushy. I do not recommend buying anything until you have been there several days and know how the systems works otherwise you will be for sure swindled. Also, if it is just two woman in your group, you will be asked to discos. Decline firmly, they just want to show you off and then take you home( they say "make relations")haha <BR> <BR>If you stay in Hurghada and take a tour to Cario or Luxor, you will go by police convery. This is a long string of buses and small tours that go together on the road with armed police leading and follwoing. you will pass through check points where machine guns will be pointed at everyone and out into the dunes. Rembeber tour guides do this daily and htink nothing of it. So relax and have fun. Bad stuff can happen anywhere. <BR> <BR>At the pyramids there are men everywhere selling stuff. Do not even bother. I bought some post cards and the guy said i gave him a 10 when i gave hime 20, I raised my voice and looked at him like I was gonna kick his butt and he coughed up my money in a second. Do not be afraid to be super firm. They are not gooing to physically harm you, they will just try and get money out of you. Do not let them intimidate you, ok, maybe cause i am 6 feet tall!! <BR> <BR>Go have fun, You will see so much and learn a lot! I have so much more to say, but i just returned and missed my connection so i am tired. PLease email me if you want more info on a subject. I would be happy too. <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR>MJD

Gina & Dan Apr 29th, 2000 03:00 PM

Hello & thanks for the informative posting on your trip to Egypt. <BR>We found it to be quite humorous. <BR>I (an attractive blue eyed blonde female)am feeling more secure already. It is sometimes difficult to avoid attention in the states so this is certainly an area of concern for us. <BR> <BR>Thanks again :) <BR>

Bly May 1st, 2000 03:20 PM

MJD: Thanks for your post! I'll be traveling to Egypt and Israel next Spring and after 2 weeks of nonstop touring, we wanted to relax for a couple days before coming home. I've read about a couple spas in Hurghada. Did you hear or see anything about them while you were there? b

mjd May 2nd, 2000 01:02 PM

Bly, <BR>Hey there, no I did not see any spas. There are only really large hotels that may offer what you are looking for in that area. Maybe try the Sheraton, Hilton or other higher end hotels. <BR> <BR>The city itself is nothing pretty, but has an active nightlife. My advice, stay at a high end hotel, go out on a boat to enjoy the Red Sea! It has fish that can only be found here! Also, the sun is just wonderful and HOT! <BR> <BR>Have fun on your trip! <BR>Let me know if I can help you more. I did look in my book and did not see the word SPA. <BR> <BR>Sincerely, MJD

HD May 3rd, 2000 05:36 PM

Hi MJD, <BR>I've been strongly considering taking my 7 1/2 year old daughter to Egypt - how safe do you think it would be for a woman traveling alone with a child? From what you said, it seems pretty safe. <BR> <BR>Any recommendations, though, for me? Do you think it would be an appropriate place to bring a little one? <BR> <BR>I'd greatly apprecite any feedback you have... <BR>

cash May 4th, 2000 05:54 AM

Enjoyed the messages about Egypt. They do love eyes, especially blue ones. I have very blue eyes and I remembered when I was there 5 yrs ago that a man behind a counter in a fairly large store in Luxor called all of his co-workers over to look at my eyes! I think they would have touched them if they could have. It was a strange sensation to have this group staring so closely at my eyes. I had many comments about them during my trip. <BR> <BR>HD, your 7 1/2 yr old seems a bit young to really get a lot out of Egypt. It is very hot, dusty, and tiring much of the year. Depends, I guess, on how good a traveler she is and what you expect both of you to get out of the trip. Also, lots of travelers get that old intestinal problem there regardless of how careful you are about eating and drinking - sometimes I think it also has to do just with getting overtired and jet lag, etc, rather than anything you eat or drink. <BR>

mjd May 4th, 2000 10:01 AM

HI, <BR> <BR>In regards to your question about bringing a 7 1/2 I would say no. Keep in mind I do not have children. <BR> <BR>I say no because you never know what can happen in terms of health and you would probably kick yourself in the butt if your chilc became sick and had to be in a hospital there. Also, will she remember the trip or just that she went to Egypt? Also, like the other post, it is hot, tiring and can be trying at times. <BR> <BR>On the other hand, I saw tons and tons of kids in Hurghada, but only a few at the sites. As far as safey I do not see problems but all the machine guns may scare!! <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR>MJD

BJK May 4th, 2000 07:18 PM

Hi, <BR>We are planning a trip to Cairo in September - will be taking a tour then on our own for 4-5 days. We would love to find a good, reasonably priced hotel near the Nile Hilton - I understand that is a good central location for walking to different attractions.

lisa May 16th, 2000 03:42 AM

Middle aged now so I may be out of date but when my sons were young I did not hesitate taking them to exotic countries. Sure I watched the food and water VERY carefully but I think they got a lot out of it. If anything, maybe they added protection for me since everyone loves and reacts to children. Returned from Egypt in March and found it to be pretty safe place (aside from the insane traffic in Cairo). One thing I suggest is to take advantage of the different transportation as possible--camel, donkey, calesh etc.

REBECCA May 18th, 2000 01:10 AM

Hi there, <BR> <BR>I am in Beijing,China. I read all most all of your posts in this site, and I think you are the expert of Egypt. <BR>I have 3 Questions so far, <BR>1. Aug,Sept and Oct, which month is the best weather to visit Egypt and also not too many visitors to avoid waiting in line? <BR>2. For currency, how much p? equal 1 EGYPT pound? <BR>3. what kinds of small gift I could give for Children in EGYPT when they are begging? China have lots of little stuff I just don't know which is suitable and they like it? <BR> <BR>Thank you in advance for your help. <BR>Enjoy your life. <BR>Rebecca <BR>

Bill May 21st, 2000 01:31 PM

Dear Rebecca <BR>We were in Egypt in Dec/Jan and brought pens for the kids. They seemed to enjoy them. <BR>Bill

rebecca May 21st, 2000 10:06 PM

Dear Bill, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your suggestion. <BR>Is there anybody could reply my other questions? <BR> <BR>Appreciated your input. <BR>Rebecca

alia Jul 19th, 2000 01:58 PM

hi rebecca <BR>i live in cairo. 1 $ is worth around 3.5 pounds. <BR>i would not advise u to come in august, it is too hot. the temp is between 35-42. i would suggest u try october.