Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Just received the following (outrageous?) quote for Tanzanian itinerary:

Just received the following (outrageous?) quote for Tanzanian itinerary:

Nov 26th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Just received the following (outrageous?) quote for Tanzanian itinerary:

(1) night Holiday Inn, Dar Es Salaam
(3) nights Grumeti River Lodge
(2) nights Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
(3) nights Tarangire Tree Tops Lodge
(4) nights Selous River Sands Lodge
(2) nights Pemba (Zanzibar) Fundu Lagoon
Including all transfers: $15,450.00.

I like this itinerary minus Zanzibar but would like to have my night in Dar Es Salaam in the middle of the itinerary rather than the beginning.

I am trying to somehow get a similar itinerary for no more than $750 USD per night, but since it is now at $1,030 per night, that may be a challenge.

I don't mind staying at the other lodge in Ngorongoro Crater, since the Crater Lodge, as decadent as it is, has not received glowing reviews for its food and service. Other than that, however, I would like to splurge on Grumeti River Lodge in the Western Serengeti and River Sands Lodge in Selous.
Nov 27th, 2003, 02:24 AM
sandi

Roccco -

I gather the price is "per person", but does that include the Int'l Air? A friend received a quote in that price range, so it doesn't surprise me.

However, since this is a Tanzania itinerary, why not contact the company that SusanLynne used, believe is was Roy Safaris in Tanzania (check her earlier post on this).

There is also another company, though considered budget and for first time safari travelers (I know you're not a "budget" person), they and any other tour operator can quote hi-end properties as well. Contact: www.2afrika.com - they are located in New Jersey.

Also, try these:
Classic Safaris (located in CT)
UTC or UTG (located in PA)
Premier Tours (located in PA)
Micato Tours (located in NYC)

These should get you started.

But as far as the fact that you aren't interested in Zanzibar, tell them; likewise if you want Dar in the middle of the trip, tell them - you are the client. The only thing that might not allow for Dar in the middle is flight schedules from Arusha/Kili, but then you can cut Tarangire by 1-day to fit flights - but, let the operator tell you that.

And from the itinerary you show above, why are you arriving in Dar if your first stop is to be at the other end of Tanzania at Grumeti River? You should be arriving Kili, and with the Selous at the end, departing from Dar. And I gather this is a "flying safari" from area to area.

Have a Happy Bird!

Nov 27th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,

Maybe it is not so outrageous, as it was $7,725 per person, including all transfers except for international air from Los Angeles.

Even so, I think I can do much, much, better. I figure that if I dropped Zanzibar from this itinerary that the price would still be nearly $7,000 per person, making it more than $500 per person per night for what becomes a 13 night stay.

I have found great prices from a tour company called On Safari.com (www.onsafari.com) that I listed in one of my other posts. I am shocked at the price for the 20 night Southern Africa itinerary I listed from that company on another post, amounting to about $280 per person per night for some of the finest places that Southern Africa has to offer and including Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Sabi Sand, Cape Town and the Garden Route.

I do not require nearly as many transfers for my Eastern Africa itinerary and it is not nearly as long, so if I can get my itinerary at approximately the same price, I would be ecstatic.

My goal, is to pay no more than $350 per person per night, including all domestic transfers, and I think that eventually I will reach this goal through On Safari.com or another operator.

Search this Thread