Just HOW "rustic".....?

Oct 11th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Just HOW "rustic".....?

... is the Jackalberry Lodge?

They offer a reasonable rate, and the photos on their site look OK,..... BUT can anyone who has stayed there please let us know a 1st hand opinion?

Our budget this year will not afford the beautiful Sabi lodges that we priced, but we still want to find a lodge that is not rustic and still affordable.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Oct 11th, 2005, 03:50 AM

I haven't stayed at the refurbished Jackalberry Lodge in the Kruger, however there is one in the Timbavati, THornybush reserve, which one are you visiting?

Also when are you planning on travelling as some of the Sabi lodges do offer out of season packages, which include air from a variety of places, which on analysis make them more affordable.
Oct 11th, 2005, 06:05 AM

veggievirgo,

If you have your heart set on the Sabi Sand, don't let a little ol' thing like a budget deter you.

There are so many beds in the Sabi Sand throughout the 25+ lodges that you are usually able to get some great last minute deals. To better your chances, you may want to choose travel between April - September (I thought September was perfect for my stay at Simbambili).

Familiarize yourself with this website:

www.mtbeds.co.za

Even some of the finest lodges in the Sabi Sand and Kruger offer great last minute specials if you book within about 2 weeks of your stay.

I would just suggest you selecting the days you want and then just be flexible with whatever luxury lodges are available during your stay. You should be able to stay at a Sabi Sand luxury lodge for the same (or less) than at Jackalberry Lodge.

Good luck.
Oct 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

mkhonzo, I did not realize that there were 2 Jackalberrys! I think that it is the Thornybush location. (I guess that is the non-refurbished then???) Let me know if you know about that one. We are planning for mid to late November.

Roccco, WOW! I am usually a good researcher but I totally missed that site! That is just what I needed! Thanks!

We do not need airfare so the packages incl air won't work, and last minute works best for me (airline emp)... so we have less chance of losing our $$$. I would rather not "rough it" TOO much, .... so I want to make sure we find a pretty nice place.

Sabi is at the top of our list because we hope to see as many animals as possible while in a nice environment. Any other suggestions for other reserves are welcome.

Thanks!!

Search this Thread