Just got back from Camping Safari

Oct 1st, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Just got back from Camping Safari

Hi guys!!

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful safari and trip in Southern Africa. I appreciate all of the advice everyone on the board gave us.

This is what we did:

1 day J'berg (did taxi tour around the city and went to Soweto)

10 days mobile tented luxury camping safari with Karibu Safaris - the Livingstone Safari
we spent time in the national parks - Moremi, Savuti, Chobe and Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe.

We saw a ton of animals, large prides of lions, wild dogs, hyenas, elephants, herds of cape buffalo and zebra, all sorts of antelope-type animals, ostrich, giraffe, gnu's, porcupine, birds of all sorts, hippos, wild cats, jackals, etc.
No leopard of Cheetah until we got to Cape Town.

Then we spent five fun days in Cape Town with Selwyn as our guide - everyone here knows him - right?

Selwyn's portion was very informative and fun, as expected.

We tried to do a great white shark cage dive while in Cape Town, but no sharks came close enough to our boat. We did see a few shark attacks on seals (we were with Rob Fallows by seal island), which was interesting.

Karibu's ssfari was absolutely fabulous and professional. We had large tents with veranda's, en suite bathrooms with toilets, wash basin, shower, etc. We had six staff members taking care of all of our meals, game drives, camp fires and setting up of tents, bringing us hot water for showers, etc. The food was gourmet every single day!!

I have never camped in my life, but I would highly recommend this safari to anyone who wants to have an authentic African experience, but with most of the creature comforts of home.

Lodges are really nice, but they shield you from the night activities of the animals. Nothing compares to having animals walk through your camp at night and drink from your outside wash basin - steps away from your tent. It was an experience that people in lodges are missing.

I am more than happy to share information with anyone who wants to know more about what we did. I loved it so much, I did not want to go home!! I was depressed at work for the first two days after I got back.

We left on September 6th and were back at work on the 23rd.

Ingrid

Search this Thread