Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Just booked my first safari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/just-booked-my-first-safari-623964/)

africatravel Jun 15th, 2006 08:56 PM

Just booked my first safari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

I am soooo excited. I just booked my first safari. We are leaving for 10 day Kenya and Tanzania safari in exactly 13 days.

We have been meaning to go to Africa forever, but something or the other just kept coming up. Then my husband got chance to change his job, so we decided 3 days ago to try to go on a safari. 3 days later we have our flights and tour booked and we are psycheeeeeeeed! :):)

santharamhari Jun 15th, 2006 09:14 PM

Hey........enjoy!!! trust me, the africa bug will bite you and you will want to return again and again and again.

Hopefully you got all your first choice camps/lodges at such short notice.

Keep us updated on return.

Hari

matnikstym Jun 15th, 2006 11:32 PM

Congratulations! The first trip is exciting, but each one after is even more so! Enjoy and welcome to the club!

aby Jun 15th, 2006 11:46 PM

Bon Vuyage africatravel !
u've just earned your title ...
Enjoy it !
safari Njema
aby

HLester3 Jun 15th, 2006 11:57 PM

How wonderful!! Please let us know what your itenerary will be, I am very interested. I am in the process of trying to get one booked for this Sept., and the travel agent thought that was last minute...
Have a great time.

Patty Jun 16th, 2006 06:53 AM

Wow, you did this in 3 days? Congrats on being able to put it all together! Have a great trip and please report back when you return.

stakerk Jun 16th, 2006 08:25 AM

What is your itinerary and who is your tour operator if I may ask?

Kevin

atravelynn Jun 16th, 2006 08:47 AM

You banged this out in 3 days! What a contrast to many posters who agonize for months over this camp or that, an extra day here or there.

Don't forget to get malaria perscriptions!

Have a wonderful time.

santharamhari Jun 16th, 2006 06:45 PM

Lynn,

I agree with your post. I think, as far as i'm concerned.....i booked my trip so far in advance, that i need that adrenaline rush of trying to make minor changes to it.

Hari

Patty Jun 16th, 2006 07:10 PM

"i need that adrenaline rush of trying to make minor changes"

Oh, I can soooo relate! :D

atravelynn Jun 16th, 2006 07:35 PM

Minor changes, whether the trip needs it or not!

I too book my travel way in advance. Rather than tweak the existing trip, I feel inclined to book yet another. As a result I always have a trip in the hopper.
And many on the brain.

santharamhari Jun 16th, 2006 07:48 PM

Yes, that too......planning new trips!!! and tweaking new trips prior to them being booked!!!

Hari

africatravel Jun 16th, 2006 10:35 PM

Hello all,

Here's the itinerary summary:

June 29: Nairobi - Nairobi Safari Club
June 30: Travel to Arusha and Lake onwards to Lake Manyara - Manyara Serena Lodge
July 1: To Serengeti - Mbuzi Mawe Serena (tented camp)
July 2: Full day Serengeti - Mbuzi Mawe Serena
July 3: To Ngorongoro - Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
July 4: Crater Tour - Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
July 5: Back to Nairobi via Arusha - Nairobi Safari Club
July 6: To Maasai Mara - Mara Sopa Lodge
July 7: Full day Maasai Mara - Mara Sopa Lodge
July 8: Back to Nairobi/Out

I usually book all my travels months in advance too.... plan, re-plan, re-tune, get the best deal ever.
This time around I didn't have the time to do this as my husband has to join his new job soon after the trip.
I had looked into east africa a while back so I was familiar with the area, also my husband has been to Kenya a long time ago and he thought the itinerary looked good.

I have never done a booking like this before and I am very excited and a little nervous.

We are going with Eastern and Southern Safaris. Serah, who arranged this trip for us, is so great. :)
I just called her a few times to get this itinerary pulled together in a hurry. She was super responsive, and we are lucky to find places to stay, as well as good airline deals within the 14 days period.

Let me know if anyone wants a detailed itinerary.

africany Jun 16th, 2006 11:03 PM

enjoy!

Chinook Jun 16th, 2006 11:11 PM

I'm sure it will be as great as if you perared all for month !
Your itinerary seems very nice ( just one comment , but I suppose it will be too late ...the Sopa logde in Masai Mara is situated very south of the park ..so long long road !

Enjoy !

Chinook

Chinook Jun 17th, 2006 01:14 AM

sorry ..;read prepared for months

Chinook

Nyamera Jun 17th, 2006 05:19 AM

Congratulations and safari njema!

Favor Jun 17th, 2006 05:27 AM

Oh my! Now you've done it. I hope you have room in your life for another addiction! ;-)

Ile Jun 17th, 2006 05:38 AM

Congratulations!! Sounds great, your trip!
And I thought I was in a hurry, after reading the posts on this forum!

And you are lucky you don't need to wait now for months!

By the way, did you check with your doctor for the yellow fever vaccine and antimalarial prescription?

sandi Jun 17th, 2006 02:48 PM

The Sopa is right outside the northeast corner of the Mara boundary Not south. You'll be just fine.

Safari njema!