Just back from Jordan, Syria, Turkey-any questions?

Aug 17th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Martha

Just back from Jordan, Syria, Turkey-any questions?

I just got back from spending 5 weeks in Turkey, Syria, Jordan (plus a day trip to Baalbek,Lebanon). If anyone has any questions about dress, money, whatever, I'd be happy to answer them. We had a great time--even though we were in a bus crash in Syria and drove through Hezbollah territory in Lebanon!

Aug 18th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Sabine

I'm planning my next holidays and I'm thinking of Jordan and Syria beside some other countries in the middle east.How about getting around by rented car? Which country of both you found more interesting?

Aug 19th, 2000, 06:48 AM
elinor friedman

I am planning a trip to Jordan. If you went to the desert castles and the areas around Jeresh and Wadi Rum, I would like to know if it is worthwhile. My travel agent is trying to talk me out of it, saying there is nothing much to see there. Being a woman, what is the dress code for foreigners? I am hearing both ends of the spectrum. Did you have problems traveling as a female?
Your trip sounded most exciting. That kind of excitement I am not looking for.
Thanks for whatever info you can give me.

Aug 19th, 2000, 06:20 PM
Martha

In answer to the first question, I'm not familiar with the car rental situation, but I can say the driving in Syria is chaotic compared to North America. Gas is certainly very cheap. Both countries are interesting, but very different. Jordan is quite modern, with a good infrastructure, McDonalds, etc. In Syria some people travel by donkey outside of the cities. The Syrian people are extremly polite and hospitable. The ancient sites in Syria are fantastic-Crak des Chevaliers, Apamea, Palmyra. At some places there are practically no tourists.
Second post--Wadi Rum is amazing!!!! We took 4WD jeeps from Petra, went on a 3 hour camel trek and camped out under the stars. I'll try to scan some pics by e-mail to you. The pink sandstone formations are weird and wonderful. There's nothing like being out in the desert on a camel, stomping around where Lawrence of Arabia was. Jerash is a great site as it has an unusual oval agora with many columns still standing. I had no problems as a female, although I was with my husband and a group of 22. I wore knee length shorts and t-shirts a lot of the time-when at the tourist sites. Pants would be best for the cities. Tip for Petra-the light is good for pictures at the Treasury around 10am and also 3pm when the rock appears to glow pink. Feel free to e-mail me with any more questions. Hope I was of help.

Aug 19th, 2000, 07:30 PM
elinor friedman

I checked my e-mail before checking this site, and I found your pictures great. You have answered some of my questions. I appreciate the info.
Thanks again.

ellie

Aug 19th, 2000, 08:06 PM
Lee

Hi Martha,
Reading your notes makes me even more anxious for October to get here - we have 5 nights in Petra. Did you see the sunset ceremony in Wadi Rum?
Could you tell me how easy it was to get money in Jordan. Were you able to access your bank accounts through ATM machines in Amman or Petra or did you carry cash/travellers cheques? How about converting from dollars to dinars? I was able to buy Egyptian & Israeli currency (for taxis after late arrival flights) in Canada but noone sells Jordanian. Hoping to buy some in Israel as we cross over the Allenby Bridge on a Friday and presume all banks will be closed in Jordan. Were you there on a Friday? Were there restaurants open on the holy day? Thanks for your kind offer of assistance - sure does help.

Aug 20th, 2000, 12:41 PM
Martha

We didn't see a sunset ceremony at Wadi Rum, and actually I'm not sure what it is. We were able to access our bank account with an ATM. You might have to try a couple, and if it won't give you the amount you want try a lesser amount. The commission for changing traveller's cheques is $10 CAN. I would take a bit of U.S. cash to have on hand until you can reach an ATM. We noticed that at the land border crossings in the Middle East there a lots of guys changing money. I didn't notice any restaurants closed on Friday. If you have a hankering for Western food, close to the entrance to the siq you could have Pizza Hut for dinner and then Movenpick ice cream for dessert! Make sure you hike up to the Monastery at Petra. It's worth the climb. Have a great time!

Aug 23rd, 2000, 06:22 PM
I.S. and I.J

Hello Martha,
We are planning on travelling to Syria and Jordan in June 2001 and have many questions. Any must sees that you could share with us? Is some form of health care (in emergency situations) available outside of major cities? What are accomodations like? Do you think it is safe for a couple to travel around alone? Thanks for all your help!

Aug 24th, 2000, 04:50 AM
diane

what is the proper dress for women in syria - both in the cities and the rural areas. are short sleeve shirts acceptable.

Aug 26th, 2000, 03:26 PM
Martha

Hi everybody,
Regarding dress in Syria-short sleeve shirts are fine. I'd suggest not to wear tight ones, as the men tend to stare at your chest! I'd definitely avoid tank tops and shorts.
Must sees for Syria (in my opinion) are Crac des Chavalier, Apamea and Palmyra. Jordan-Petra, Jerash, Wadi Rum, Dead Sea and snorkelling in the Red Sea. I imagine there are doctors around, but when you go out into the desert, you can be pretty far away from things. I should think it'd be perfectly safe for a couple to travel around alone. We met a couple of Americans in Damascus who travel to Syria all the time. They always try to get out of Damascus quickly and head for Aleppo, which is less hectic and cleaner. For $30 U.S. you should be able to get a nice, clean double room with air-con or fan, mini-fridge and maybe TV. You can play Tetris on the TV's in Syria for some reason. I posted some pictures of our trip on a webpage-
http://community.webshots.com/user/annabelle302
Have fun on your trips!

Search this Thread