Just back from Jordan & Egypt!

Dec 8th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Just back from Jordan & Egypt!

Hi all,
Just got back last week from an OAT trip to Jordan and Egypt. Wanted to check in and say it was a fantastic trip. Met another fodorite and her husband as they were also booked on the trip. It was a grand adventure and I'll be writing a trip report and sharing photos in the next week or so. We were in Amman when the bombings happened, but our hotel was a few blocks away from one of them, so we weren't hurt. Anyway, we're back, and will be posting a trip report soon but wanted to say hello!
Dec 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Welcome back! I'm looking forward to reading your future post. I'm planning on traveling to Jordan and Egypt next year and can't wait to hear the details.
Dec 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Dear wanderlust5, would love to hear about your experiences. We are leaving this week for our Egypt/Jordan trip. What are the "best buys" for those countries? Did you feel safe traveling in Jordan? Any last minute suggestions for a family with two teenagers? Thanks for sharing.

psburck
Dec 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

We felt totally safe in both Jordan and Egypt. Be prepared for serious security in Egypt especially. Don't be off put by all the armed guards and undercover security that will flank you all the way through. After a day or two, you grow quite used to all the attention.

We bought a hand made rug in Egypt, and we bought quite a lot of papyrus at a "government" run store that gives out certificates of authenticity with the purchases. We also bought many things handcarved or handmade by the Nubians - very inexpensive. Little things here and there. Have read that gold is a good buy in Jordan, but never managed to get anywhere to buy any. OAT definitely has great trips, but very little shopping time, compared to other trips I have taken with other tour companies.

Will be posting a trip report sometime this next week for all those interested.

Have a great time! We loved Jordan, and we loved Egypt, and we would return to both countries. The people are amazing and the countries are bee-you-tee-full.

Search this Thread