Reload this Page >

do NOT book with KARIBU SAFARI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 03:07 PM
P Bell

I was on a 17 day safari in Zimbabwe and Zambia with this tour group. The animals were great but there was a great deal that was misleading about the information provided. The 17 day safari was in reality 15 days unless you count a one hour meeting the first day and a long morning drive the last day (WITHOUT the LUNCH PROMISED)as 2 full days. ONE NIGHT THEY RAN OUT OF FOOD, everyone was left very hungry. When they state in their brochure that you will have a place to put your gear with ample leg room, NOT. It was a VERY cramped vehicle. The guide started out in a pleasant helpful manner but about half way through that changed. It had to do initially with the rafters in Victoria Falls making us late for a dinner reservation. You felt as though some type of "kick-back" was missed. It became worse when our tipping for the boat-driver on the Zambesi River wasn't agreed with. But no one would be upfront and give us any guidance in this matter initially. Also we were promised time at the platforms to view game in Hwange National Park. This did not happen as promised. In the end we had less than 5 minutes. Apparently this was due to the long, slow drive in. But we were not given any advice as to the fact that we were being slow viewing animals and going to miss out on this opportunity. We were also no told that night drives could be booked at the park and so this once in a life time chance for us was missed too. At lake Kariba, once our boat tour was over (that could be missed unless you are very much into drinking as there's is minimal game to see and only of the kind you've seen before), we had an opportunity to watch native dancers. We didn't get to take advantage of this as the driver incessantly honked the horn through the performance shaming us into returning to the van. Then we sat for a half hour to fill with desiel and drove back past the performance location to return to camp!! I didn't pay that kind of money to miss out on culture to watch gas being pumped! PLEASE select a different tour group, they may have their problems too, but this one does for sure.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 04:53 PM
mary ellen

<BR>I couldnt disagree more.one of my best trips ever was with karibu It was a 19 day Namibia safari, they delivered everything promised and more, the food was great( and plentiful) the 2 guides were outstanding, I wouldnt knock a company like you have for such petty reasons. all tours have a first and last day that are less than the other days.and everything doesnt always go as planned ,especially in places like Africa. next time , be more flexible and enjoy yourself more

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 08:15 AM
Bell

If you call paying $12,000 for a trip and going hungry petty, then I would say that you could enjoy yourself anywhere. Maybe I should be jealous but...

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 07:40 PM
CPete

I for one very much appreciate postings like yours. There's nothing worse then spending tons of money for a trip of a life time and having lousy service (they sound like amateurs). Try Hoopoe (if you go to Tanzania) they were great. We stayed at one place that still rates as the best place I've stayed at in the world. Thanks for saving others of us who plan on going again someday from this tour company.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 02:09 PM
P Bell

You're more than welcome. I wish I had <BR>known too! Congratulations on your good <BR>pick.