Any recommendations for pre-reading?

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recommendations for pre-reading?

You probably know how it is... checking through multiple posts, noting info but going back to find something in particular again, oh oh! -- where was that again?? Aaaargh! Can't find it!
So my apologies if there is a thread on this somewhere...
I'm looking for field guides and reference books for animals (mammals and birds especially) and hopefully something re botany (flowers especially). Recommendations please? With many thanks in advance!!
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Great bird book, but kind of heavy (I default to heavy camera gear and leave heavy books home): Birds of East Africa by Stevenson/Fanshawe

Great mammal book (again heavy): Safari Companion by Estes

A good, practical compromise (and good value at ~$12-14 at Amazon) with good coverage of mammals and birds, with some reptiles and flora: Wildlife of East Africa by Withers/Hosking
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM

I always find Longitude Books very helpful, they have their books organzed by country or region.

http://www.longitudebooks.com/find/c...rica/mcms.html
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Wildlife of East Africa - Martin Withers & David Hosking
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

I think I remember seeing the Estes book listed somewhere, it has black and white sketches? and the comment-er suggested those could be better than colour photos because colour matching is impossible given the variety of shades among a species. Made sense to me... yes?
Any feedback on the National Audubon Society's Field Guide?? Maybe Estes along with Withers/Hosking are sufficient? Thanks SavTrav for the link!
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM

I second Cateyes555's recommendation... lots of info and just the right size to carry on your safari. It has a lot of bird listings, but may not be detailed enough for a serious birder. I'd go for a book with color photos or drawings for birds. African birds are so much more colorful than what I usually see here in the US. Also, it's easier for a quick ID. How serious a birder are you?
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM

You remember correctly about Estes: the book uses sketches. My preference is for photos though. Estes' book contains in-depth information on animal behavior (e.g., social/mating interactions, activity, parental care, reproduction, preferred living habitat) and from that standpoint cannot be beat.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

@ShayTay Interested in birds but not a birder. Maybe some day!
@sdb2 thanks for confirming recall for the Estes book description, I think it's info my husband would find especially fascinating so will likely order it. Still wondering if anyone can comment on the Audubon Society's book?
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 02:36 AM

OandA, because I thought the Estes book was a bit expensive, I looked at Alibris.com for a used version. I found a book in very good condition there and saved a bunch of money on it.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 03:15 AM

Another vote for Estes here. Certainly if you go to east Africa. But you'll have to complement it with a bird book. I use a Princeton guide "Birds Of Southern Africa".

But if it's for specific regions in southern Africa like the Waterberg, the Okavango, or (soon) the Lowveld (aka Kruger), then there's perhaps a better option now; look for Lee Gutteridge's guides. He's an FGASA level 3 guide giving ranger training courses at Entabeni. His books are really good, not only focussing on mammals and birds, but also on plant life, tracks, and so on.

Ciao,

J.