Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Just Back from Botswana, ANY QUESTIONS? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/just-back-from-botswana-any-questions-360373/)

Jann Sep 22nd, 2003 04:57 AM

Just Back from Botswana, ANY QUESTIONS?

Thanks to all the fodorites that helped us plan this trip- it was wondeful! Our trip was 2 nites Jo'burg at the Mount Grace Country House & Spa; 3 nites each at Tubu Tree, Duba Plains, & the new Kings Pool then ending with 4 nites at The Victoria & Alfred in Cape Town. I'd would be happy to answer any questions. A trip report is on the way but might be a while as we're cleaning up from Hurricane Isabel. Arrived home Friday afternoon--after Isabel had been to visit.

PCHsmiles Sep 22nd, 2003 05:52 AM

Details on Duba Plains, please - it's part of my itinerary in B.

Jann Sep 22nd, 2003 08:13 AM

Duba Plains is an excellant camp. Very friendly staff & excellant guides. Six tents which makes for a small intimate atmosphere. Our guide, James, is also one of the camp managers. He has been studying lions for five years and is getting ready to take leave to write a book on lions. Tonya is the other manager & what a jewel! Food was excellant. Tents were very roomy, indoor shower & outdoor shower,front deck with chairs for game viewing. The game viewing was really one of the best. Five or six prides- large prides with the 12 year old "Duba Boys" as leaders of the area. Saw a lion kill and a leopard kill. Many elephants(also in camp) & cape buffalo. Be sure to ask your guide to take you to an area called "Paradise". Full of birds , hippos,and various animals. We spent a lot of time on our drives studying the lions. They are great to watch playing & chasing each other.

Jann Sep 22nd, 2003 08:27 AM

PCHsmiles, Weather was beautiful. Daytime high of about 85 degrees with early morning & late evening chilly enough for a light weight jacket. Area has lots of water to drive through which was fun. Any other questons,let me know.

PCHsmiles Sep 22nd, 2003 08:31 AM

Jann, thanks so much. I'll be at BP four nights next year following Savuti, and after DP, will fly to several more for short times at each. I'm happy you liked it. Sounds like it will be fun for me as well. take care.

Kavey Sep 22nd, 2003 08:36 AM

Jann, looking forward to hearing everything but particularly interested in Tubu Tree as we'll be there in less than a year!

Jann Sep 22nd, 2003 10:14 AM

Kavey, I'm off & running at the moment but will sit tonite and tell you all about our "favorite" camp. It is a must when we return--YES, we now have the bug!! PCHsmiles, what other camps will you staying? Sounds as if you'll be at several. If so, all of us here at Fodors would love to hear your plans before an after.

PCHsmiles Sep 22nd, 2003 10:22 AM

Jann, I've made several earlier trips to that area, and this time will meet UK pals in J'Burg and fly to Maun - from which we have a small plane to Savuti Camp, then to DP, then Mombo (this part is nailed down and guaranteed), and then to several others (this part still in progress). Eventually back to Maun, then J'Burg, spend the night, then home. Like last fall, only longer and more in Botswana. Will post an abbreviated report afterward. Relying on Wilderness Safari for all arrengements. Used them before - highly reliable. My only concern is weight - how to get black tie aboard seeing that there will be a 12.2 limit. I usually try to dress a bit formally the first and last nights in camp. My dress code is not recommended for any sane and normal traveller.

Kavey Sep 22nd, 2003 12:18 PM

Jann
Last time we went to Little Mombo, Little Vumbura and Chitabe Trails.
Next time we're visiting Savuti, Tubu Tree, Jacana, Gudigwe and Little Mombo as well as Jack's Camp.
Can't wait to hear your feedback!

Jann Sep 23rd, 2003 05:40 AM

Kavey
Wish we would have stayed a week at Tubu Tree. Chrystal, Mannie and staff were exceptional- very warm and friendly. Our guide, Grant, has been guiding for 15 years & knows the animals,birds and plants. Be sure & request Grant. We were always the last people returning in the AM & the last people in to camp at nite.

Tubu had the largest variety of animals of our three camps. Cheetahs lions,giraffs, cape buffalo, elephants,zebra, etc. Each & every drive was exciting & different.

Camp was our favorite of the three. Each of the five tents are built high on platforms. Tents are very spacious with king bed,plenty of 'easy' storage, writing desk ,nice bath area with indoor shower BUT the best was the incredible outdoor shower for two -looking out at the plaines & animals.
The large deck in front of tent has two comfortable chairs for viewing the animals in front of camp.

A sand walkway through the palm trees lead you to the raised main tent. This area includes the dining area, large lounge area, a small gift shop, swimming pool, and the most incredible bar area looking out to the animals. The bar area & out door shower should be featured in Architectual Digest.

The food was plentiful and really delicious served by very happy & friendly staff.

As you can tell, we truly loved this camp. We thank Bert at Fish Eagle Safaris for suggesting this camp. Let me know if you have additional questions.

JochenVDP Sep 23rd, 2003 06:09 AM

Hi Jann,

Did you go to Vic Falls and/or Chobe NP?

J.

Kavey Sep 23rd, 2003 06:13 AM

Jann
It was also Bert who recommended Tubu to me. He'd had a customer visit and had very good feedback from them. This was several months ago when I was first looking into where we wanted to go.
I have nothing but the greatest respect for him - he was the one who said to me that, as a US based agent, it was unlikely he could better quotes I'd get from UK agents, so I went through a UK agent. It's unusual today to meet an agent who truly wants the best for people, even when that means suggesting that they don't book through him, rather than just looking for the next sale.
I did send him something to say thanks as I found his suggestions on itinerary very very helpful.
Kavey

Jann Sep 23rd, 2003 07:06 AM

JochenVDP
Kings Pool Camp is on the Linyanti River in Chobe NP. We decided against Vic Falls & went to Cape Town for 4 nights. Cape Town is a lot of fun especially if you stay at the waterfront. Any more questions?

Jann Sep 23rd, 2003 07:16 AM

PCHsmiles
Why do you have only a 12.5 limit-is that lbs.? We had 26 lbs each. Any way, would love to be at your camp & see that tux! We were always late arriving back in camp so we were at cocktails & dinner with dirty clothes but clean hands & face!

PCHsmiles Sep 23rd, 2003 08:23 AM

Hey, Jann - 12.2 kg - sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. I'm still trying to get that tux on board - last year it was the boots and camera or black tie - the latter stayed in J'Burg. I like to change clothes after the evening game drive - makes the drinks and wines go down so much more easily. And the predators would love it!! Take care.

Jann Sep 23rd, 2003 08:42 AM

One of my favorite times was drinks after dinner out around the camp fire.

wendyandcary Sep 23rd, 2003 05:56 PM

Kavey, I believe my wife and I were the people Bert was referring to when he recommended Tubu. We stayed there last October, and it was truly incredible (as was every other camp). You can find all of my comments to Bert at the fisheagle safari website (fisheaglesafaris.com) under testimonials (OCT 2002 fly-in safari.

Kavey Sep 24th, 2003 12:03 AM

Wendy, it could be - I was talking to him about it in December last year and it was a couple that had returned recently at the time.

:D

JochenVDP Sep 24th, 2003 12:40 AM

Hey Jann,

Any more questions?! How about a zillion?! LOL! :-)

Can you tell me a little bit more about Chobe? What did you see? What are the best places? etc...

Thanks!

J.

Jann Sep 24th, 2003 04:31 AM

JochenVDP,

E-mail all your questions to Jrbythebay@aol.
I'd love to answer them all. Kings Pool Camp is on the Linyati River.It' green on the river banks but everything else is brown. This area has about 40,000 elephants & they love bark on trees.

It was VERY hot during the day, 100 F ,but would cool off at nite. What camps are you going to ? Is this your first time in the Delta?