Just back from Berber Village!

Aug 10th, 2001, 03:48 AM
Christy

Just back from Berber Village!

My husband and I just returned from Morocco, where we spent two days living in a Berber Village. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I cooked bread, tajeen(sp?)and couscous while my husband drew water from the well and brought it to the village on a donkey. We made rugs and took a donkey trek through the mountains. I would really recommend a few days in Berber Village if you are headed to Marakesh. We had a wonderful guide, who was born in this particular village and knew everyone. If anyone is interested, let me know...I have pictures and can give you more info.

Aug 11th, 2001, 06:15 PM
luke nashaat

hi,
i'm not heading to marrakesh,i'm going to cairo, but i just stumbled across your message and couldn't stop myself. i suspect i'll be going back to africa sometime, and your trip sounds like just the sort of thing i'd want.
so, tell me more...
regards.

Aug 13th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Christy

Hi! Living in the Berber village was one of the neatest experiences of my life. We arrived in Marakesh where our guide picked us up. The village is about and 1 1/2 hours from marakesh. Our guide, Mohamed was born in the village and grew up there. When we arrived my husband was taught how to make mint tea...which was too funny to watch. Then he left with the men of the village to get water while I went with the women to cook. We explored the village and were invited into many homes for tea and treats. We had a hamam which is a steam bath and also did henna (hand and feet markings). We slept on the floor..on rugs of course. It was hot but bearable. let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Aug 14th, 2001, 06:04 PM
texasgirl

hi, what a cool experience. i have lots of questions _ how did you hook up with these people _ where did you arrange the stay? Approximately how much did it cost? Do you speak any Arabic or Berber or was there some other common language? Were there other tourists in the village or just you two? What was the name of the village, and where exactly was it _ in the atlas or more toward the coast? Thanks for sharing _ I would have loved to do this on our trip last january but we were short on time and went to essaouira and the sahara from marrakech instead....in hindsight, wish i'd skipped essaouira...

Search this Thread