June Too Hot for Egypt/Nile Trip?

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Jane

June Too Hot for Egypt/Nile Trip?

We are teachers and must vacation during June, July and August. The guide books suggest October and November as the ideal time to visit Egypt. Has anyone toured the end of June into July? How hot was it? Would you suggest avoiding Egypt altogether that time of year? <BR> <BR>Jane and Bill

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 03:42 PM
wagih

Hi Jane how are you i want to till u that the wether now here in Egypt it is very hot by the day and it is cool by night but it will be very good day and night after 23 days whene u can enjoy egypt.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:54 PM
LEANNA

Hi....it will be very hot in Egypt in July and Aug...inspite of what our dear Wagih says!!! But some people do just fine w/ that.....I know I would not want to be there any later than April & May which I was....it was hot enuff for me at that time. Take sun screen and USE IT!! I think maybe an umbrella is better than a hat..cause the hat gets hot on your head..and I would def. take a long sleeve white shirt. Also wear skirts....gauze stuff..so the breeze can blow!! So its hot..if its the only time you can go...GO! Just drink lots of bottled water!! Egypt is amazing!

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Leanna

Thanks for info on the temperature situation in Egypt during the height of summer. There is a SLIGHT possibility that my husband and I could manage a trip during an April school vacation (with some extended time off) as he teaches Ancient History. We've just returned from a fantastic visit to Russia where the climate was not a decision-making factor. Jane

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 07:25 PM
LEANNA

April and May ARE better...so if you can take the time then....do it. I think you would enjoy it more...Valley of the Kings gets hot as did Luxor and all points south...in Abu Simbel on May 1st...I just took water and soaked my head!! Ah glamour!! I was in Russia about 5 yrs ago...fascinating huh? Ah this travel...tis a fever that burns! Hey..I teach music appreciation in Elem school......and I try to go each spring on a super trip. I am always amazed how it enriches my teaching!!! You're gwanna love Egypt!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:30 AM
Edith

Jane, I have the same issues; I teach also and it's hard do to a real comprehensive trip anytime but the summer. I just spent two weeks in the Middle East in July, including Cairo and Luxor. It was hot. Really hot. However, (yes, I'm going to say it) it's a dry heat. My main thing about the heat is that I hate to get all sweaty and icky. In the desert, your sweat evaporates. I'm home now, and I'm more uncomforatble in the humid 80s than I was in the desert 100s. That said, water is the key. We drank 3-4 liters of water a day, and took advantage of the pool at any hotels we stayed in. I wouldn't suggest avoiding it; it's an amazing place. I would recommend a dose af realism, and you should be fine.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:27 PM
Edith

Thanks for the details regarding the weather in Egypt. For the time being, we're putting off plans for Egypt and will be going to Peru and Bolivia next summer. Then, back to the drawing board for Egypt and the Nile in year 2003. So many places to go--so little time! <BR>Jane