Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   June or July for Tanzania (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/june-or-july-for-tanzania-589272/)

solitaire11 Feb 8th, 2006 06:52 AM

June or July for Tanzania

Hi folks,

I was initially planning on travelling betn July 1st and July 15th to Tanzania ..and have all the details worked out (iternary, safari operator, flights) ..however now due to some scheduling conflicts with my husband .. I might have to change the trip date!

Here are my two options:

Option 1: July 16 to July 29
Option 2: May 27 to June 10

With Option 2, I save $1,000 on airline tickets ..and I am favoring it. But I would
like your advice on the weather, migration etc.

Thanks in advance!
solitaire

jasher Feb 8th, 2006 08:05 AM

Hello,

I'm not an expert, but June is probably better for Tanzania -- in July (particularly towards the end of July) it is possible that the bulk of the Migration will be moving/have moved to the Mara in Kenya. If you do go in July, you probably want to concentrate on camps in the northern Serengeti for that part of your trip.

Cheers,
Julian

rsnyder Feb 8th, 2006 02:14 PM

Hello solitaire11, better time might also depend on southern or northern Tanzania. If southern areas then the July dates might work out better as in the Mikumi and Ruaha NP game will be more concentrated where there is water than in say June according to what our guides told us last year.
Most likely you are headed to areas in northern Tanzania where as the Julian suggests the earlier period might be better. For the Serengeti, our guide there in 2004 suggested even the latter half of May to increase the chance of hitting the bulk of the wildebeast migration heading north. Yes, being there in May could involve some rain (in a normal year) but he felt such would not dimish game drive sightings. Of course observations might be better in Tarangire in July and August when game again is more concentrated along the river. I would still want to see the Serengeti in late May and early June at the expense of seeing Tarangire a bit early. In either case I think you will still have a grand time as much variety and abundance is to be expected on the Serengeti regardless of the migration. Good Luck. Dick

sandi Feb 8th, 2006 02:23 PM

The better airfare with Option #2 is because the fares increase May 28, so you're in under the cut-off. Though I must say $1000 is a lot... is that for 2 people?

If our experience counts for anything, we visited at the same time as Option #2, in 2005. Well, the herds were nowhere near the western Serengeti, rather the wildies were in the central and the zebra still on the southern plains. Not till mid-June did they meet up and move towards the western area.

We had a few showers in the afternoons - maybe 1/2 hr, and I believe once overnight. Neither was an issue or impacted our game drives.

Most days were bright and sunny. But weather is just that "whether it will, or whether it won't." No more guarantee than for where animals will be found.

Know that space is booking quickly, including for time in May.

sonali74 Feb 8th, 2006 02:38 PM

I agree with julian to go in may to serengeti for the migration. The grass will be taller so the sightings of predators would not be great but as serengeti has some of the highest density of predators in the world u would still see lots of them in may. July also would be dicey regarding both predators and the migration. If I had to choose for serengeti between may and july, may is alot better and cheaper!!!! Sonali.

aLarryB Feb 9th, 2006 09:41 AM

We went to Tanzania the end of May Last year and the weather was absolutely great. Not to hot, not to dry. Right between the wet and dry season. If I make the trip again I would want to do at the same time. Have a great trip, wish I were going too!

solitaire11 Feb 9th, 2006 09:46 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I will be going with Option 2.

Sandi, the flight savings were for two people ..and you are right about the increased fares after May 28th.