Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which parks should we go to in Kenya and Tanzania in Oct/Nov?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feeling very overwhelmed and could use some help!
We will be in Kenya and Tanzania in late October and early November following a trip to Ethiopia,Rwanda and a brief rest in Zanzibar. After much reading and debate my husband and I are struggling with the following:
1) Which parks do we go to at this time of the year? Every park I read about seems so interesting and I cannot choose. We would like to follow the migration, so which parks/areas are best to do this?
2) How many parks should we visit in a 14 day period? And for how long in each?
3) Any thoughts on things/places we should do/see in between parks and safaris (ie, cultural, activities)?
4) Given that there are 500+ tour operators, how do we choose one? What do we look for? We are hoping to do a private safari if that helps and are moderate spenders.

I know that we have left this a little late, but it is so hard to decide. I would appreciate any insights or thoughts on this so I can get some sleep.
Much thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
santharamhari

Northern Serengeti may be very good late October when the migration starts to head bk to Tanzania.

Masai Mara should be good also.

Hari

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I spent 15 days in Kenya last November and posted a trip report http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34719569 perhaps it'll give you some ideas. Ours was a private safari for two at approx $2900pp. Accomodation rates in October will be slightly higher than November.

Late Oct/early Nov is a tough call for following the migration. I think either the Masai Mara or northern Serengeti but don't be too disappointed if you end up on the wrong side.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM
sandi

The migrating herds have been known to stay in the Mara well into November (even into December). That doesn't mean that some wildies haven't started the trek back to the Serengeti. Much will depend on the rains - whether a lot of wet, or just occasional showers. So at this time, it's a toss-up!

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Keep in mind that the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem is very large, and the Serengeti National Park is roughly 6,000 square miles combined with the Masai Mara of 600 square miles. The migrating wildebeest and zebras can be very spread out, and many may never need to make the walk across the border at all into Kenya. In November you are just as likely to see the migration in either country. Heck, there are wonderful sightings outside of the park in places like Loliondo in November and December.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:36 AM

4 nights mara,one night lake Nakuru and two nights Samburu[7-days will be good on Kenyan side] but should you want more have two more nights in Amboseli at the base of Kilimanjaro.

Tanzania: Serengeti is the best for chancing on seeing some migration.This is nature but should you mis it in the masai mara then you can see it in here. I recommend 2 or 3 nights there.Basicaly Tanzania is expensive than Kenya so if you are not looking to spend more then chose.Ngorongoro worth seeith for one night.

On campanies I can recommend Trailfinders Africa Safaris when it comes to fair prices especialy on private safaris. some are Somak and Dave safaris.Try these three before making a decision.

Jas.