Jordan to Egypt by ferry or land?

Nov 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Jordan to Egypt by ferry or land?

We will be visiting Israel this January and then plan to travel to Petra before proceeding on to Egypt. We need to be in Egypt by the 31st of January. We are thinking of crossing into Egypt from Jordan, without going back into Israel, but I can find nothing to recommend the ferry crossing from Aquaba to Nuweiba...even the "fast" ferry doesn't seem to be fast or reliable. Can someone who has actually done this trip recommend the best approach? Should we cross back into Israel and enter Egypt by land thru Eilat to Taba instead? I realize we would need to get an "All Egypt" visa before crossing by land but my main concern is to avoid unnecessary frustration and time delay. We can arrange for our Egyptian tour guide to meet us at either entry point. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Nov 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
P_M

The only way I've made this crossing is by ferry and it was many, many hours delayed. A poster on another board had a great suggestion, which was to stay at a hotel near the ferry dock so you can see when the ferry arrives from the other side. If you won't be staying at a hotel in Aquaba maybe you can find a comfy restaurant or bar with a view of the dock and wait there. Once you are on the ferry it's really not bad, it was only the delay and waiting forever at the dock that made it such a bad experience for me.

I hope someone can help you find a better way. If you do end up on the ferry bring a good book to read while you are waiting and consider it part of your adventure.
Jan 9th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Realise the person has now travelled, but in case anyone in the future... we went to Petra, then Wadi Rum. From Wadi Rum we organised a taxi to take us to the Israeli border. Not very much, can't remember the cost. We walked across the border (via immigation) which took about 10 mins. Then got a taxi (they are waiting usually)to take us to Egyptian border (10 minutes by taxi. We then walked across border (via imigration), again maybe 5-10 minutes. We then negotiated a ride to Sharm El sheik. There are lots of vans waiting for people to cross. Be tough with them re price. If you were heading to Cairo, then same as above. Time to cross both borders & cost, was a lot less than using the ferry. We are older and we managed it easily. I was a bit apprehensive, but it was just so easy. Only thing is if you are planning to go anywhere in Egypt except Sharm area, get a visa beforehand. We got ripped off getting one later in Egypt. cheers
Jan 13th, 2013, 11:06 PM

mareea, can you please tell us exactly when you did this? It may make a difference in the future as laws change on the Sinai and people should know when it was easy. It may remain easy, but 2 yrs from now, who knows?

Search this Thread