Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Jordan-Safe for Americans?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/jordan-safe-for-americans-332446/)

houdi Jun 30th, 2003 09:26 AM

Jordan-Safe for Americans??

Contemplating a Fall/Winter trip to Petra. Wondering if you think being an American might be a liability. Would you feel safe there?

sandi Jun 30th, 2003 09:47 AM

NO!

Sadly, all of the mid-east countries have been hit with drop in tourists and they'll be most happy to have you enjoy their country.

Way too may people canceled trips to countries such as Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Jordan as soon as the words "war" were heard - big mistake!

That's when you're suppose to travel to these places.

I hope that your trip to Jordan is not just Petra! Petra is very interesting and you should spend two nights in the area, allowing for seeing the rocks at both sunset and sunrise (once tourists have left or before they arrive); and the neighboring areas around there.

There are wonderful sights of interest from the north to the south, and there are some wonderful itineraries that cover the entire country.

Go and enjoy.

Tiiimeisonmyside Jun 30th, 2003 10:13 AM

I'n not especially knowledgeable about Jordan, but simply based on the violence level in the Middle East, I wouldn't go there anytime soon.

We've seen 33 months of non-stop violence since the Clinton peace initiative failed. Now we have a so-called Roadmap To Peace, which is tenuous at best.

Surely it would make sense to wait one year to see if this temporary cessation of attacks holds.

welltraveledbrit Jun 30th, 2003 10:40 AM

Houdi,
I'd say go... but then I'm planning a trip to Armenia and Iran leaving next week so obviously I feel differently about the Middle East! I know my sentiments will be in the minority!

I didn't find Fodors very helpful in planning this type of trip because these are obviously rather unusual destinations. While I love the board and post here frequently there are far more people going on safari than going to Pertra!

If you go to Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree you'll find lots of Americans going to places like Petra etc. It's a very helpful place to get immediate feedback from people who have recently visited. My only problem with the information on their site is that, while very helpful, it is very much geared to the budget/backpacker group.

I hope someone else can help!

dianeg Jul 1st, 2003 03:43 AM

I would say go.

Jordan is a very nice, compact, country to visit. I also think that you need at least two nights minimum as well. Make sure that your first entry into the site is done by foot: much more impressive this way.

Just one warning: hotels in Petra have been extremelly hard hit with the drop in tourism. Unless you're reserving at the Movenpick (a great splurge), be wary of booking a hotel in advance.

We had booked ahead at a mid-range hotel. When we arrived, it took a long time to find someone to turn on the lights - we would have been the only guests. Staff was a squeleton crew (one body) and the place smelled awful from being closed up.

We refused to stay and haggled a good price from the Movenpick (nearest to the site gate), where there couldn't have been more than 40 guests at the time.

sandi Jul 1st, 2003 04:23 AM

Houdi - My reply of NO, didn't mean, No I wouldn't feel safe, rather No, being an American would not be a liability.

People are still visiting Egypt, Israel, Turkey and Jordan - and they're getting good prices, so bargain when making your plans.

The remarks by "dianeg" is something to factor in, places might be closed or full services might not be available - so be sure to check this out.

But you fly direct into Amman and stay in Jordan - you're not in any of the West Bank territories. We found Jordan to be safe, the people friendly (though the major population is Palestinian), and the food is great.

Again - do it, it's a lovely country to visit.

Kavey Jul 1st, 2003 05:31 AM

As a Brit we felt very safe when visiting Jordan from 9-16th February this year.

We met only a very few Americans there but I did stop and chat with a few and all said they felt very safe and that they were amazed at how welcoming the Jordanians were towards them.

I have no idea whether this may have changed now.

I would recommend that as well as Petra you also include Jerash and Wadi Rum. Wouldn't bother with Aqaba myself.

sandi Jul 1st, 2003 12:48 PM

Kavey -

But if lookng for a water retreat, from Aqaba you can easily cross into Eilat (Israel). Eilat has lots and lots of hotels, water activities and is safe.

And plans are underway to build a highway from Aqaba to Eilat to Taba (Egypt) - three countries, one highway. Interesting!

houdi Jul 1st, 2003 12:54 PM

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I've wanted to visit Jordan for a long time. I really resent that I even have to think twice about travelling there because I'm an American. I hold the Bush administration directly responsible for helping to make Americans less welcome, and perhaps less safe in certain areas of the world.

sandi Jul 1st, 2003 02:01 PM

Granted as soon as you open your mouth "American" will be recognized - otherwise, I don't think you'll be wearing a sign with clearly written words "I'm an American"

Go and enjoy yourself, the Jordanians will be most welcoming.