Reload this Page >

East Africa Safaries Best Parks, months

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 01:58 PM
Debra Bray

If you had only one country in East Africa you could go to with the most wildlife, great tenting accomodations, and any time of the year, where would you go and why? Planning a once in a life time safari, and would appreciate ANY advice. Which tour company would you choose and why.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 05:15 PM
Debi

Well, I only have one experience to go from — Kenya. Spent one night at Mt. Kenya Safari Club. Absolutely fabulous! Spent 2 nights at Sweetwaters Tented Camp in Nanuki and then flew to the Masai Mara and stayed two nights at the Mara Safari Club. Sweetwaters was very laid back and casual. Had a chance to go on a night game drive. Saw three of the big five that night. I went in April ’97, the beginning of the rainy season. Everything was green and there was no dust. The problem with that is there were fewer game sightings. But I saw just about everything and by the end of the week it was almost, “Oh, it’s only another zebra!” <BR>The Mara is very different from Sweetwaters. MSC is a different atmosphere, more upscale, but still tented camps. Right on the banks of the Mara River with hippos down below! <BR>Food was great at all three places. <BR>I went with African Travel in Glendale, CA (800/272-3274). I could go on and on, but if you are interested in more, e-mail me directly and I can send you a copy of an article I wrote. <BR>One bit of advice, take more film than you think you would possibly need. I was there for 10 days and used 18-24 exp rolls! Every picture turned out! Also, if you don’t already have one, have at least a 200mm zoom. <BR>I understand the great migration is a spectacular sight as well.

Old Sep 5th, 1998, 07:53 AM
Bill

Hi Debra, <BR> <BR> Tanzania is the place to go....more animals and less people than Kenya.. <BR> <BR>Best parks are Tarangire, Ngorongoro Crater, and Serengetti...I will be at Selous in October, so I can't comment on it yet...For Tanzania you need to pay attention to the annual migrations of Wildebeest and Zebra... <BR> <BR> Also, in Kenya or Tanzania, you are better off at private reserves rather than public. They are definitely worth the extra cost. E Mail me if you have more questions.

Old Sep 19th, 1998, 04:39 PM
MK

Kenya, Kenya,kenya!! Kenya has more bird species than any other country on earth- 1700+. I was there 5 weeks last summer and loved it. Masai Mara, Lake Naivasha country club - VERY BRitish colonial place, you will feel like Karen Blixen, and the coastal Swahili island of Lamu. <BR>Check out www.bwanazulia.com for the full scoop!!!

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 10:44 AM
Debra Bray

In answer to your question. Tanzania without a doubt. I have been to Kenya and Tanzania on two occasions. Am takeing my grandchildren to Tanzania this Febuary. Hope to see the migration at that time of year. We are going with <BR>Thompson Safaris who specialize in Tanzania. We will be tenting part of the time and it should be great.

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 08:08 PM
Walter & Marilyn

Saw your message on the Fodor Forum. We Also went to Africa two times, Kenya and Tanzania. <BR>What makes it better we are also going to Tanzania in FEB. w/Thompson and are taking our four grandchildren and our son, the father of two of the children. Also tenting. Will be e-mailing you and hope you can e-mail us.

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 08:08 PM
Walter & Marilyn

Saw your message on the Fodor Forum. We Also went to Africa two times, Kenya and Tanzania. <BR>What makes it better we are also going to Tanzania in FEB. w/Thompson and are taking our four grandchildren and our son, the father of two of the children. Also tenting. Will be e-mailing you and hope you can e-mail us.