Jordan and Israel visit: Fly into Amman or Tel Aviv?

Jun 2nd, 2013, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Jordan and Israel visit: Fly into Amman or Tel Aviv?

I posted before about a different aspect of a trip I'm planning to Israel and Jordan, and received some very helpful replies. I'll follow-up with a trip report after I go there this fall.

I'm now trying to figure out the best flights to take. I looks like the cheapest option is to fly to Amman. Is it feasible to spend a week in Jordan, pass to Israel via land, vacation there, and then return through the land crossing? I don't anticipate any issues getting into Israel but I wondered if there is any reason it would be preferable to fly to Tel Aviv, despite being pricier.

Third option, of course, is to get a one-way flight to and from both places. It would be easier and save time. But even if I can find flights that are reasonably priced, will that raise red flags with immigration authorities?

Thanks!!
Jun 2nd, 2013, 05:44 AM

My longer answer disappeared into cyberspace. You are probably aware that you might require a double entry visa for Jordan depending on where you exit and return. If not try googling Jordan double entry visas.
Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:59 AM

If you plan to visit both countries and though these appear very very close on a map, arriving/departing AMM, might not be worth whatever savings in airfare and possible need for second Visa, besides based on scheduling require extra hotel nights.

I would suggest you check on an 'open-jaw' ticket, arriving AMM and departing from TLV. Check to see what single airline offers this or a combo of one air carrier into AMM and another out of TLV.
Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:09 PM

Flying into Amman and flying out of Tel-Aviv is a very good option. A relative of mine did the same last month and had no problems with immigration authorities (why would you ? a lot of people take that logical route). Although the ticket was more expensive than TLV return, he saved the Israeli exit tax (crossing into Jordan), the cost of traveling back to Israel from Jordan and gained an extra day of touring - all of which more than made up for the more expensive ticket (I think the difference was less than $100).

He rented a car in Amman, visited Madaba, Petra, Wadi Rum and returned the car in Aqaba. He crossed over to Eilat, rented a car and drove to Jerusalem via Mitzpe Ramon and the Dead Sea.
Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.
I have found tickets that do this for a good price, through Kayak. Lufthansa to Amman, Swiss from Tel Aviv to Boston. These are both airlines I like so I'm excited.
Anyway, my only qualm is if it would somehow make it difficult to be admitted to Jordan or Israel, because the authorities would view it as having a one-way ticket to or from their country. I guess that isn't really a valid concern but I'm a little worried. It would be horrible to plan this trip and get there, only to be stuck at the border!
Jun 3rd, 2013, 03:54 AM

The only border you could be stuck at would be the Israeli border and you will have your Swiss Air ticket with you. You could check with Luftansa and the Jordanian enbassy in advance about whether they will have a problem but they won't.
Jun 3rd, 2013, 05:20 AM

I repeat : my relative and his family did the same itinerary last month and had no problems (why would they?)

I repeat : this is a very common route. For example, it is very popular with the British using EasyJet from/to London.

You are an American tourist traveling through the Middle East with an American passport. Many tourists visit several countries on the same trip: Israel and Jordan, Jordan and Egypt, all three, etc. Millions of tourists pass through Israel and/or Jordan every year. Why are you so worried ?
Jun 3rd, 2013, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks so much for the advice, everyone.
(I will stop worrying.)
Jun 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM

Agree with mbgg - an open jaw ticket is done regularly for visitors to the Middle East - Israel Jordan Egypt. You will have viable air tickets... go for it and stop wondering 'what if.' Just be sure 'no sharp objects in your bags.'

And regardless the strict security in/out of Israel, it's sure less stressful than what we deal with here in the States. If only we'd learn!
Jun 4th, 2013, 05:31 AM

Beth
Have you considered RT into Tel Aviv and taking advantage of one of the many well reviewed tour companies based in Eilat Israel for the Jordan portion of your trip? Im planning my trip, and it seems like the way I might go but Im open to other ideas....I know one negative, I will miss out on the Black Iris and chasing girls with cold
Jun 4th, 2013, 05:52 AM

Frank I wish you had been with us. Then we would have understood the significance of what we were seeing. Who was this Moses chap?
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

After looking at all the flights, I am considering a round trip to Tel Aviv, my reason being that I could take Swiss and work into it a day-long stopover in Zurich, which I'd like to see. Also, Swiss is one of the nicer airlines to fly in coach, which is where I'll be. The other choice is British Air into Amman. So far none of the open jaw flights worked out when I actually tried to purchase them.

As for tour operators, thanks, Frank, I will take a look. My inclination is to go with local tours in each country. I have already found some nice ones in Jordan; the next step is planning what to do in Israel.
Jun 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, everyone. In the end I got a ticket going into Tel Aviv, and leaving from Amman, in November. Looking forward to the trip!
Jun 13th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Makes sense. Have fun.

Search this Thread