Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Jordan - alternate itenary - advise - help (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/jordan-alternate-itenary-advise-help-493612/)

gac1yahoo Jan 7th, 2005 11:43 PM

Jordan - alternate itenary - advise - help

Hello
I will be reaching Aqaba (on thursday) from Sharm and will be leaving Amman on Sunday @ 2 am. Travelling with wife and 2kids.

My tentative itenary looks as follows:
get taxi Petra (overnight Petra)
look around Petra ( overnight Petra)
get taxi for a day and go to Dead sea and then to Amman airport.

My questions are:
1. Is the alternate itenary makes sense..?

get taxi wadi rum (overnight camping)
Visit Petra (overnight Petra)
Visit Petra early morning and leave Petra at 11am to the airport.

2. Is it easy to get day taxi in Petra to go to Amman..? How much is the cost..?

3. Is Wadi Rum camping must..? (don't want to regret later)

4. How reliable is the tax ride from Petra to Amman, becaz I don't want to miss the plane.

5. Is it easy to arrange Wadi Rum camping...how much does it cost..?

Thank you very much for your help

rdkr Jan 8th, 2005 02:40 AM

If you have time check out Jeresh just north of Amman. Get your hotel in Petra to arrange a taxi to Amman. Petra you may find hard to do in a day. We walked around it for 2 days of about 12 hours each and still did not see it all and we are both young and fit. With kids your pace will be much slower.

rdkr Jan 8th, 2005 02:42 AM

If you have time check out Jeresh just north of Amman. Get your hotel in Petra to arrange a taxi to Amman. Petra you may find hard to do in a day. We walked around it for 2 days of about 12 hours each and still did not see it all and we are both young and fit. With kids your pace will be much slower.
Have a good trip.

www.franceinfocus.net

Kavey Jan 10th, 2005 01:03 AM

My main advice would be not to short change yourself on the time you have to spend in Petra. It's much, much more extensive than most visitors (ourselves included) realise and we spent an entire day there and saw only a fraction of what we would have liked to have seen. It's an incredible place.

Whilst we also enjoyed Jerash and Wadi Rum and the desert castles too I'd certainly miss these in order to assure at least ONE full day in Petra.

Wadi Rum, whilst beautiful, would probably be the next thing I'd drop - you can experience that kind of desert beauty in other places too such as Namibia, which has similar red sands but more extensive. We didn't overnight here and I'm sure that would be a lot of fun and it IS all down to personal preferences so if this is something you dream of, take my preferences with a pinch of salt!

Jerash would be somewhere I'd try and keep on my list - it's kind of like visiting Pompeii but with less visitors.

I personally would never recommend wasting any time in Aqaba - it's a third rate seaside resort and a drab one at that.

Amman has some interesting sites but, in my mind, they don't compete with Petra or Jerash, though the desert castles not too far from it are interesting.

Hope you enjoy the visit...

gac1yahoo Jan 10th, 2005 05:41 AM

Thank you very much Kavey..

yes..as you mentioned Petra is my priority # 1.

I am planning to spend about 1 to 1 1/2 days in Petra. We are going with two kids and to keep them interested planning to do Desert ride.

What do you think about :
Arrive from Egypt and go direct to Wadi (@5 - 5:30pm) overnight camp.
Next day early morning ride (4x4 or camel) and leave for Petra. Plan to be there before 1pm. Petra tour til sunset. overnight Petra
Wake-up early and petra tour 'til 4pm. Leave to Amman.

I am skipping Jersha for the Wadi. The reason is may some other time I will be in that area to visit Israel and I can visit Jersha at that time.

please advise

Kavey Jan 10th, 2005 07:23 AM

Sounds lovely!