Reload this Page >

Still go to Kenya in 2 weeks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 09:40 PM
chris

I was all prepared to go ahead with my planned Safari trip but now I see in the news there have been Anti-American demonstrations in Nairobi (some people carrying banners in support of Bin Laden which utterly angered me). With the Taliban making repeated tv pleas to Muslims to incite further attacks on Americans should I reconsider my plans? Or should I just change my only 1 night planned stay in Nairobi and get away from the city ASAP? <BR> <BR>HELP...

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 03:09 AM
Ino

Chris <BR>I live in Vermont and in our small town we had anti-war demonstration on Saturday. Don't let one news make up your mind. People have different opinions and they need to express them regardless where they live and what are their religions. <BR>As to Nairobi I wouldn't want to stay longer than necessary. In my case it meant in June 2000 staying only overnight before going on safari. In February 2002 it will mean staying again one night before and one night after safari before catching early plane to Amsterdam, then continue to Newark. <BR>When in Nairobi do not walk out of your hotel alone, do not take public transportation, do not show your wealth, do not compare Kenya to the U.S. I would change plans and get out of Nairobi as soon as possible. There is so much to see on safari and maybe you should think about spending extra time there instead of in Nairobe. However, I would make the same suggestion to everyone before September 11 as well. I hope you will continue with your plans and post your report when you return. It is an amazing place IMHO. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 08:22 AM
kelly

I keep reading all the warnings about Nairobi and am wondering if it is really as bad as it sounds. I mean, I have read similiar horror stories about other places that I have later visited and didn't think it was as bad as it was made out to be. Latest example was Dakar Senegal, which I traveled to last month as a single female. I was told such things as to not carry anything with you, don't go out at night alone etc... While I do believe bad things do happen in these places, I never felt like I was this walking target for attack etc, and I did carry a small bag with camera inside, and did go out at night to eat, but didn't stray to far from the hotel. <BR> <BR>So anyways, I am hoping to visit Kenya on my next trip to Africa. Has anyone been to both Dakar and Nairobi and could maybe compare the two as far as safety for me? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Kelly

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Thyra

We are planning a trip to Kenya in April, and are still planning on going. First of all, the news tends to focus on a vocal minority, ignoring the millions of people who don't want to be part of the Taliban and part of the Hard Line Muslim sects. Example: Last week Pakistan had a huge peace rally with music (an art forbidden in Taliban controlled Afghanistan) and how much coverage did it get on the news??? About one second, yet all week we were inundated with anti-US riots in Pakistan. I am not entirely sure we are getting the whole picture. <BR>Also, If you are booked into a safari through a tour company, you may be better off as most tours will not proceed if there is a direct threat to their clients. <BR>I would definately purchase trip insurance, if you have not done so. <BR>Keep an eye on current events as you are doing. But frankly, I think if you avoid trouble spots and try to be sensible, you have a good chance of avoiding danger. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 08:02 AM
africaholic

Don't forget that Bin Laden has also struck in Nairobi when the American Embassy was attacked. Many Kenyans were killed and most Kenyans will understand what the Americans are going through. <BR>Go to Kenya, stay in Nairobi for the shortest possible time and enjoy your holiday. <BR>Here in Britain we have supporters of Bin Laden and I suppose they lurk in most countries of the world. Fortunately the majority of people here despise his terrorist organisation and I suspect the majority of Kenyans do too. <BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 11:41 AM
Deb

I just returned from Kenya (left Sept 27 returned Oct 17). I was in Kenya as the USA starting bombing. I encountered no problems and even received condolences from shopkeepers and taxi drivers. <BR> <BR>Although there are Muslims in Kenya, the vast majority of Kenyans are Christians and sympathize with Americans. Nairobi was fine although one should always use a taxi in the evening and minimize the wearing of jewelry (same advice as before 9/11). <BR> <BR>Please don't cancel your trip. Kenya is suffering economically and needs your tourist dollars. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 12:37 PM
Thyra

Deb, thanks for the encouraging post. <BR>I am counting the days...

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 03:34 AM
Ino

to the top