Reload this Page >

Israel public schools to teach basic manners

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Peter

I heard a piece on NPR about public schools in Israel beginning to teach manners as a subject in certain grades. The piece made a big deal about Israelites being exceedingly rude - cutting lines, yelling. It especially focused on the fact that small children did not know how to share or stand in line when they began school. <BR> <BR>Is this true? What is the origin?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:27 AM
Matt

Have not heard it but they're rude alright... you will first experience it in the cue at the airport. Old and young cut in line and pretend that you don't exist. <BR> <BR>As far as the schooling, many new things are in development including manners, how to interact with others and respect for the environment.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:36 AM
John

I think a lot of people, especially in the US and Europe, still labor under the perception that Israel is some sort of Northern- or Central European cultural outpost in the Middle East. It's certainly true that the founders of the State were mainly Europeans, but culturally Israel has been, and is increasingly becoming, a Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, even Asian society. Ever been in an orderly line in Italy? Or waited calmly for the bus in Cairo? I'd recommend people understand the difference between "chutzpah" and rudeness, because there is one.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Faina

HUH???????????? Rudeness in Israel? Something new for me! People where so nice and polite everywhere from a small shop to post office to the airport. Are you sure it was Israel not Italy?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Lori

Well, I'm glad that someone is going to teach them manners, because yes they are rude. More rude than anywhere else that I have been--whether MiddleEast, Europe, etc. <BR> <BR>Folks that aren't usually rude include people in service industries, eg waiters/waitresses, hotel folks, etc. <BR> <BR>Just try and go to a grocery store on a Friday and you'll experience it first hand. It's amazing and I do NOT understand it. When we first were moving here my husband's boss told him to quick telling the waiter thankyou when he brought him something. "They'll think you are weak". <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:31 PM
xxxx

i am agree about that they are very good people as faina said ???? <BR>do u now why |??!!!!!!! <BR> because they are killing the people <BR> ohhhhhhh it is rether to respect the people than killing them in the streets

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Ginger

The ME is not Europe or America so why expect the cultural rules to be the same. I don't think Israeli's are rude, I simply think they look on life differently to me (a European). I say thank God there are differences - what a dull world it would be without them.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Kathy

I live have in NEW YORK CITY for 15 years. I have no family or religious ties to Israel and I can tell you we are more rude in NYC than Israelis. I was in Israel for about 1 month. What is funny in Israel is the way that everyone talks like they are at a bar at the cinema. This is just a different movie experience not to be put on the rude slate. <BR> <BR>I think it is terrible that people want to run away with the idea of why the schools are trying to have a manners class. Ever think they just might want to have some common social code. They have people from all over the world some who have come in great numbers (80's Ethiopia) fairly recently. Now I don't want to think they want to reshape cultural habits but I am guessing this helps people to interact with a more equal understanding. Imagine what it is like to be coming from a tribal community in some desolate mountain region and then you are smack dab in the middle of Telaviv, different; language, culture, social codes. Maybe this is something positive like a way to help people acclimate. Just a thought. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:34 PM
LEANNA

I live and teach in an elementary school in a small suburb of Los Angeles. We have a program called, "Character Counts" It teaches manners to our kids, also sensitivity, respect, kindness etc. We felt we needed the program for our kids as the staff was finding the students rude, inconsiderate of the staff and each other. Seems its a world wide problem not just Israli! But maybe now......in these horrid of times....we'll all learn and be reminded!

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:52 PM
John G

I have a close Israeli friend, Eynat. I would not call her rude, but she is extremely forward. Some of our friends call her pushy. She never says thank you to anyone. She also is very opinionated and does not like to be contradicted. But, even though she behaves this way, she is a good friend who would give you the shirt off of her back if you needed it. I know this is just anecdotal evidence. However, in my travels, I have been told by various tour guides that they HATE Israeli groups because they are very demanding. My guide in India told me that they will tell you to your face if they don't like you or if they think you are not working hard enough. Maybe this is caused by life in Israel. I think you have to be really tough to live there. JG

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 12:20 PM
withheld

Hey, ask anybody who works in a tourist place like hotel, store, peer 39, museum, etc... who is the rudest? I bet anything nobody will mention an Israeli, but France is the 1st on the list!!!!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 04:09 AM
Rude

Talk about rude people! <BR> <BR>http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pa...ID=0&listSrc=Y <BR>