Johannesburg to Cape Town

May 2nd, 2002, 07:43 AM
Neil

Johannesburg to Cape Town

We fly into Johannesburg on cheap student tickets and want to go on to Cape Town immediately after arriving --- any suggestions as how this is done ? Details please

May 2nd, 2002, 04:49 PM
tim

As far as I know and I may be way off the mark the fares within SA are fairly expensive but then I suppose that depends on what currency you are using to purchase tickets. You could go by train which is overnight, but I do not know what they are like these days with regard to personal safety etc. The blue train is luxury but belive you are not looking at that class as you are flying to SA on cheap student tickets. You may want to do a search for domestic air carriers in SA - SAA is the main carrier but there may be another too. Can you not purchase an add on plane ticket?

May 3rd, 2002, 04:33 AM
traci

These cities are really far apart so the best option really is to fly. In addition to the trains mentioned in the previous posting, there is a Greyhound bus service but it will take close on two days to complete the journey. The local air carriers are SAA (flysaa.com), British Airways (ba.co.za), Nationwide (flynationwide.co.za) and Kulula (kulula.com). There is a great deal of competition between these four on the major routes (Jhb/Cape Town and Jhb/Durban) so you can pick up a return Jhb/Cape Town/Jhb flight for under 1000ZAR (about $95US). Certain conditions apply - like booking two weeks prior - but these are clearly explained on the websites.

May 5th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Silvia

Hi, we went by rental car. But relax the first night in Sandton. The City lodge is less price and very good.
Regards from Vienna
Silvia

Search this Thread