Johannesburg or 1 more night on Safari

Oct 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Johannesburg or 1 more night on Safari

My fiancé and I are planning our August 2008 honeymoon to SA and have almost everything planned (we are so excited!!!). We are spending 4 nights in Capetown, 2 Nights Wine Country, 3 Nights Garden Route, 3 Nights Safari, Lion Sands, 1 night ?? We had to wait to book the flights because we are using miles and have already booked our hotels. We just booked our flights and everything has worked out except we have to extend our trip by 1 day for the return flight. Unfortunately, the Lions Sands is apparently sold out already for that night. Now that we have an extra night we are not sure what we should do, find another Safari Camp for a night or maybe go to Johannesburg? Unfortunately, we are already spending more than we budgeted for. I’d love any suggestions for another camp close to Lion Sands, that are “reasonably” priced. Also is Johannesburg safe? Is it worth spending a night there? Any good hotel recommendations? Thanks!!
Oct 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM

change lodges for four nights.
Suggest you look into Little Bush Camp of Sabi Sabi fame.
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM

One more night on safari.

Here is a report that includes Lion Sands.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34744403

Oct 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM

The night in another Sabi Sand camp that you can make an easy and quick drive transfer with. Perhaps Sabi Sabi, bordering Lion Sands (I think).

regards - tom
Oct 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Definitely go for another night on safari and skip Joburg. You're going all that way and one extra night on safari won't cost you THAT much more than a hotel in Joburg, plus you have to buy meals. You could do 2 nights Lion Sands and 2 nights a second naerby place? Find a map of Sabi Sand and you'll see where the camps are located.
Leslie
Oct 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Since you mentioned reasonably priced inside the Sabi Sands - try to look at djuma bush camp. One current review was very appealing ......
Oct 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Lion Sands is my favorite lodge. I hope you can find a way to stay a 4th night. However if you cannot Sabi Sands is right next door as is Kirkmans run by CCafrica. I have heard nice things about Kirkmans too.
Oct 15th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I returned last night from a fantastic trip that included Lion Sands (Ivory) as well as a night in Joburg. I will write a short report soon, but to answer your question: We liked Ten Bompas very much, so if you need to spend a night in Joburg, I would recommend highly. I would not be afraid as long as you took taxis at night..

http://www.jonathan-merry.com/tenbompas.com/index.php

Another night at Lion Sands, of course, would be your best bet..
Oct 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I would go for a night in Johannesburg also, just to get a different view of South Africa. After all, it's not all game and wild life. However, I have never been to Jo'burg, so I can't say if the city itself is worth visiting - although, for one night...
Any chance you could get to Capetown? Now, that sounds like it's worth a look see.
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Hi, Sass,

I'd go for another night in CPT. we loved it and found 4 nights not enough.

my trip report on 12 days in SA can be found if you click on my name.

regards, ann

Search this Thread