Johannesburg for 3-4 days

Jul 26th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Johannesburg for 3-4 days

Hello, I will be travelling to Jburg in 10 days. It's only a stop-over before I head elsewhere.
I would like some hotel recommendations 4 stars if possible(I have seen some 5 posted) around 200USD/nite is my budget.
Also, what's a must see during those 3-4 days?

Thanks

Christian
Jul 26th, 2004, 10:48 PM

For accommodations the best bet is the Quatermain or Falstaff Inns - www.quatermain.co.za
They are rated as 4 star but are very much 5 star, and the rates are well within your budget. This site is currently quoting a superior single room at R710, and a deluxe single at R860 - but you may get a better deal given the season. The location is also good, fairly central although not within walking distance of the Sandton Precinct - this is a 5 minute drive away.
In terms of what to see:
If you are here on a Sunday or public holiday then the Rosebank Market is a must - there is a small craft shop open the rest of the week as well.
Soweto and the Apartheid Museum at Gold Reef City.
If you are feeling brave and prepared to drive on the left then a trip to the Cradle of Humankind in the Magaliesburg is recommended, plus the Cullinan Diamond mine is allowing visitors now.

Do a search for the user "ArthurSA" - he posted an excellent list of things to do in Gauteng.

traci
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Traci

Thanks for the reply. Question is the Intercontinental better located? I wouldn't like to be to far from the action

Christian
Jul 28th, 2004, 10:44 PM

Hi Christian

The Sandton Intercontinental is well situated - wish I could draw a diagram in these postings! It's in the Sandton Precinct area, next to the convention centre and literally across the road from Sandton City/Nelson Mandela Square. You can even take a connecting bridge from the Intercontinental to the Sandton Sun and from there through to Sandton City. It's a typical big chain hotel and to the usual Intercontinental standard. Nothing against it but it is souless - like most big chains. Just make sure that it's the Sandton Intercontinental you are booking into and NOT the Sandton Sun. A lot of people become confused between the two. The Sandton Sun is not nearly as nice or well run as the Intercontinental and ridiculously overpriced. The Intercontinental is pricier than Quatermain or Falstaff and if you are prepared to pay that amount I'd suggest trying the Michelangelo instead - it is far better by leaps and bounds and even more ideally situated being part of Nelson Mandela Square. Don't just accept the rack rate they quote, shop around for some specials.

traci

Search this Thread