Johannesburg-eat, sleep and tour.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Johannesburg for two nights on our own before a tour. We are two couples from the United States.
Question#1 - Which is the best area of town to stay in if you want to see the most of what Johannesburg has and what would you suggest are the main things to do in such a limited time?

Question #2- Is this easily done on our own or is a guide necessary?

Question #3 - Any moderately priced hotel and restaurant suggestions?

Question #4 - Is there something else I am forgetting to ask that would make two days in Johannesburg memorable?

I love Fodors! They always have such great suggestion
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Did I not word this well? I thought someone would have some advice on Johannesburg.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:05 AM

Yah, just returned. You will be knocked out on day one and so have really one day. What are your interests?
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 06:54 AM

Spouse and I are well seasoned travelers (been all over the world) and we were not at all comfortable being on our own in Johannesburg. I strongly recommend you get a driver & guide to take you around.

Houses with large walls, gates, barbed wire and electrified fences is the biggest clue that venturing out in unknown areas might not be very wise.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 06:11 AM

There is a very good South Africa forum on TripAdvisor, with several locals who would be able to answer your questions.
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 03:39 PM

We have visited South Africa (and Johannesburg) several times. We are usually staying with friends and they take us around to see the sights. If you want to see a bit of Johannesburg on your first day, I agree with the suggestion to get a driver and a guide. There might be a good area where you can find a hotel, restaurant and shops to explore without going far. Friends have taken us to Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton City shopping center, but someone more familiar with Johannesburg will be better able to advise you.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses. Still doing research and trying to pin down area and key places. We will either be three people or five people. Not sure yet. If 5 people, we might check out AirBNB.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 08:37 AM

I've been to JNB several times, some time for work and other times for vacation. I've stayed mainly in Sandton City and Nelson Mandela Square, it's the easiest area as a visitor with restaurants in a mall where you feel a bit more secure. Rosebank is another close by area which is very nice too, with hotels and restaurants. The Marriott Protea Balalaika is just outside Nelson Mandela Square, I like this hotel because it has gardens which the other hotels do not have, it was quite reasonable too but not sure now it is a Marriott. Attached to the hotel is the Bull Run restaurant which is really good. It is easy access to Sandton City with the Gautrain (which is pricey BTW).

B&B properties in Joburg and South Africa generally are of a very good standard, it would be worth checking some of those out in the Sandton area.

Not sure what else you are doing in South Africa but a trip to Pilanesburg (maybe with lunch at a lodge) is very nice if you are not doing a safari elsewhere or a hot air balloon safari in Magaliesburg, Lion Park Joburg, Elephant Sanctuary Hartbeespoort Dam and Cradle of Humankind.