Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Johannesburg car and driver (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/johannesburg-car-and-driver-751872/)

Ricardovitch Dec 5th, 2007 11:15 AM

Johannesburg car and driver

We are looking for a car and driver to ferry three of us around the Jo'burg area on a series of daytrips over a three day period.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
THX,
RHS

ShayTay Dec 5th, 2007 11:59 AM

You might check with Wilro Tours. They could probably supply you with a quote for what you want.

www.wilrotours.co.za

matnikstym Dec 5th, 2007 12:35 PM

I used www.vhupo-tours.com
Very nice drivers and new vehicles. Would definitely use them again.

atravelynn Dec 5th, 2007 03:39 PM

I had a wonderful afternoon with Len, the driver guide, from Wilro. We went to Rhino and Lion Park. The agent, Eyes on Africa, chose that company for my one short excursion.

ShayTay Dec 5th, 2007 03:48 PM

Wilderness Safaris chose Wilro for us, as well...good company. We visited Soweto, where our driver lived.

Your hotel might also be able to set up day trips for you. I once stayed at the Grace Hotel in Rosebank and they set up a visit to the deWildt Cheetah Center for me.

Doogle Dec 6th, 2007 02:13 AM

Without a doubt Wilro Tours, call Eugene, he will be able to help you, they only do tours, not accommodation, this you would have to sort out yourself.

Back2Sabi Jan 8th, 2008 01:57 PM

Go with Face2Face tours - ask for Jimmy, the owner. He's one of the most interesting people I've ever met and has the biggest fish-tales you'll ever hear. He knows EVERYONE, it seems, in town. He'll take you on tours all around the city as well as day trips to sites around Jo'Burg. He gives you a real "insider's view" of town. He ferried us around in his VW Golf for two days and we had a blast. Driving 200 km out to see the Ndebele (sp!) region as well as taking a very up close and personal walking and driving tour of Soweto. With Face 2 Face tours you get to meet locals, talk with them, share experiences.

christineB Jan 17th, 2008 04:25 PM

I, too, am interested in getting a car and a driver (and a hotel) as I'm only in Jo'burg for 24 hours (each) on both sides of a trip to Capetown.

I was in India recently and it was very cheap to get a car and driver for a 1/2 day. What should I expect to pay in Johannesburg?

Thanks, Christine

matnikstym Jan 17th, 2008 05:07 PM

We paid around $50 US per person for the driver to take us from the airport to the Apartheid Museum and back. Was supposed to include a short tour of Johannesburg but due to a mixup on my part, not theirs, we only went to the museum and back.

lerasp Jan 17th, 2008 08:39 PM

I would also consider renting a car on your own. Roads are great around JNB, signs all around and it's very easy to drive. It depends where you plan to go. Bt a trip to Dewilt Cheetah center is easily done on your own as well as anything around Pretoria. Soweto is best done with a guide.

christineB Mar 3rd, 2008 04:28 PM

Can you really rent a car in Joburg? I'm an adventurer for sure but with Mom and 13-yr-old daughter traveling alone, I was told that it was really unsafe.

How do the locals do it?

-Christine

Doogle Mar 6th, 2008 12:21 AM

how do the locals do it.... we have donkey carts and elephants...

Nah I am joking, but if you listen to people on the board you are in a lot of danger, the only thing about Johanesburg, it is big it is confusing and if you have never driven here you will get lost!!!!!!!

Rather get someone to meet you and drive you around, us locals know our way around and we know where to go adn not go and we still sometimes get lost!