Johannesburg-Cape Town where to safari

Mar 25th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Johannesburg-Cape Town where to safari

I am going to be in South Africa in September for two weeks. I plan on one week in Cape Town and not sure where to do the Safari for a week. I have looked at 2afrika on their Kruger Park trip which leaves from J'burg by driving. Any ideas how good it is. I am looking to spend around $1000-1200pp for a week safari. Any suggestions. I was also thinking of driving to cape town any ideas there. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks Cindy
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:47 PM

You may have a better safari experience if you shorten it from seven nights to five nights at a higher quality lodge. You should still be in low season meaning that your dollar will go further, so that is good.

Check out websites such as www.e-gnu.com, www.safarinow.com, www.mtbeds.co.za and wwww.naturedestinations.com.

Some places you may want to consider that are nice but not too expensive are Djuma Bush Lodge($175 pp per night), Djuma Vuyatela Lodge ($250 pp per night), Chitwa Chitwa, Simbambili, Lion Sands and Inyati.

Given your budget, you should probably avoid Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Zambia and Zimbabwe are not that expensive for the lodging but if you hit a couple different places, the air transfers will be very expensive.

Sometimes you can find good deals on these websites, as well:

www.skyauction.com
www.luxurylink.com

Good luck.
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Hi Cirish,
Kruger is nice if you have a lot of time. You cannot go off road to see the animals and they are not always co-operative by coming to the road for you. I would think one of the private places that take you off road and into the bush to see the animals might be nicer for a first trip. And as Rocco mentioned, September is off season at most places so the rates are quite a bit less while the weather is often close to perfect during the day, if a bit chilly (but not cold)at night. Pilanesberg is quite reasonable and while they do not go off road, the roads are build on a grid in many places so that you can see more. Also they have the Big Five there too. And it has the added advantage of being malaria free and it is a short drive from Jo'burg.
Where ever you go, have a great time.

golfer
[email protected]
Apr 6th, 2003, 01:06 AM

I don't recommend driving between Cape Town and Johannesburg. It is almost a thousand miles and there isn't much to see. If you do decide to drive, go via Kimberley (as opposed to Bloemfontein on the N1)and spend half a day touring "The Big Dig" and the mining village set up behind the mine. Also, there are several Boer War battlefields around Kimbreley ,but neither is worth 16 hours of driving in my view.
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Roccco-Happy Birthday, look under another post -you missed something
Apr 8th, 2003, 04:37 AM
caribtraveler

Hi Cindy,
7 years ago we (parents, brother and i) drove from Johannesburg to Cape Town. The drive was really nice. We took the long scenic route.
I wouldn't recommend doing an entire week on a safari though. We did 2 days at Kruger and 3 addl days at private lodge in Kruger (I wish I could remember the name). Anyway, on the 4th days it kinda got old. Don't get me wrong. The safari was amazing. We went in the month of December and we saw a lot of animals.
Enjoy!

Apr 9th, 2003, 02:49 AM

September was a wonderful time in Kruger. Wear layers because you'll be cold in the morning and by sunup you'll be warm. I would do the same that they've suggested - go to a better place for fewer days.

Search this Thread