Reload this Page >

Crusader Castles in Middle East

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:55 AM
Anon

Does anyone know how many there are, where situated and/or name of any excellent book on this subject. Thanks.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:36 AM
Anon

They stretch from Aqaba up into Turkey going through Israel, Jordan, Syria (Lebanon?). <BR> <BR>Does anyone know where the crusader castles are in Israel? Perhaps its easier to do this one country at a time! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:32 PM
Eli

There are several remains of crusader castles scattered around (in Israel), but for a "one stop shop" collection nothing can beat Akko (also called Acre)which is a coastal town located north of Haifa. At one time is was the northern capital of the crusaders. Many of the ancient buildings were preserved in mint condition becuase they are below current street level and were protected by being filled with sand for centuries. Unfortunately I am not aware of any bibliography so I would suggest that you look it up on the web, e.g. http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Archaeology/Akko.html has a good description.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:58 AM
Dick

We had the pleasure to seek part of Akko (Acre) in June, 2000 as part of Israel visit. I wish we had had more time. As previous poster mentioned much of the crusader struture was/is buried. One can see several places modern buildings on top and the crusader walls below. And, portions are still be unearthed. I recall one large room that was being emptied of the sand, rubble and ancient garbage, as we watched. Also, the columns had been banded to reduce problems. As we moved thru a very narrow escape tunnel I could imagine the knights of old struggling thru there with armor on and weapons carried. Great Place.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:24 AM
Mika

There is a big one in Syria: Crac de Chevaliers - don't forgen that one.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:29 AM
Anon

Thanks everyone! <BR> <BR>Between you and Thorn Tree I've got some great info and several book recommendations. I'm hoping first project of my "can't-come-too-soon- semi-retirement" will be to visit them all (no matter how little left). <BR> <BR>Thanks again. You've helped make this Fodorite very happy! Futher info always gratefully received.