Johannesburg Airport Lockers?

Dec 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Johannesburg Airport Lockers?

We understand there is an area to safely check bags at the Johannesburg airport. However, someone mentioned to me that the airport is under construction and does not know the situation concerning the baggage check area. We are beginning our trip to So. Africa in Cape Town - then will travel through the Johannesburg airport enroute to Kruger. We may not meet the 44 lb. bag limitation for the trip to Kruger and want to know if this locker area is or is not open and functioning. Also, exactly where in the airport is it located so we can try to quickly deal with checking a bag and making our flight to Kruger. When we return to Johannesburg our plan is to spend a few days there and would pick up the extra bag when we return from Kruger. Another question: Does the 44 lb. baggage limit apply to all internal flights? If so, we will need to have a different plan. We are on a National flight from Cape Town to J'Burg.

Thanks for your help.
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Just a thought... do you really need more than 44 lbs of luggage? Camps and hotels in Africa all do laundry for a reasonable fee. The lighter you pack, the more you'll enjoy your trip.
Dec 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM

There is a storage area in the basement (same lvel as parking area) that I used in October. It costs about 42 Rand per bag per day. There are no lockers. You give them your bag and they put it in a hopefully secure area in the back of the tiny office. Before you descend to the basement you can find a shrink wrap machine where they will wrap your bag for you if you fee that doing that will insure its safety.
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM

ekscrunchy is right. It is in the basement, but in the international terminal, so when arriving from CPT you'll have to walk (short 5-10 minute) walk to the int'l terminal. We used it in October also. Our bags were locked and had no problems.
Dec 13th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Make sure your bags are locked, and I would recommend the shrink wrap also - its a nice deterrent.
BTW - if you spend one night at the Sun they will hold luggage also.
Dec 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM

If flying in economy, your CPT-JNB flight will also have a 20kg per passenger checked baggage limit unless it's part of an international ticket (and then the limit would be dependent on your origin).
Dec 13th, 2007, 06:20 PM

I was told by my TA that leaving luggage at JNB is not a good idea. Theft is rampant. But our TA offered to have their local reps store an extra bag for us. Perhaps you can do the same.
Dec 14th, 2007, 12:09 AM

I haven't heard of any thefts from the left-luggage facility.

The "rampant theft" problem is related to baggage handling, and is a well-known and admitted problem. ACSA has now re-contracted for this, and will also not allow casual staff to be used. Unfortunately I think (without searching for the very recent news stories) that the new contracts are only place some time early next year. So not ideal, with some knowing that they are out of a job! For example, I think I saw a report of a strike.
Dec 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Arthur

I did have several items stolen from left luggage which is why I recommended locks and shrink wrap.
Of course this summer my locks and in some cases zippers were cut right off by the thieving b*******