Johannesburg

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Roger

Johannesburg

Some co-workers and I are going to Johannesburg in a couple of weeks on business.We will have alot of time to sightsee.
I'm a little concerned about health risks, but my main concern is regarding our own safety! I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories about how dangerous it is there.

Roger

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Celia

I used to live in Johannesburg many years ago, and have visited it often since. There's no need to be concerned about your health. It isn't a malaria area, and the water is as pure as in any western city. Fruits and vegetables are grown in sanitary condiditons; there's no need to avoid the wonderful fresh fruits and veggies. The hospitals and doctors are world class.

Jo'burg does have lots of crime, but very little of it is directed toward visitors, mostly it's gang warfare. However, there is a lot of car high-jacking. The best way to avoid being a victim of that is to get a cheap small rental car, not a Mercedes or BMW. Other than that, just be as cautious as you would in any other big city.

If you like to see dancing, visit Gold Reef City and see the mine dancers. There are at least a million really good restaurants in Jo'burg, so I know you'll not starve. The local wine is really wonderful. Try to sample a different one every evening.

I hope you'll have time to get out in the country and see some of the wild. It's a really fantastic country. Have fun!

Sep 10th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Penelope

Hire a taxi to go places at night.
Get your hotel to order it, have the doorman or other hotel personnel explain to the driver where you want to go, and consider paying the driver to wait, unless you have good idea that the restaurant or other venue can get you an equally reliable taxi back to where you are staying. Highest recommendation: eat at Linger Longer in Santon, either in the main dining room (reservation important and get the name of the person who takes your booking) or the adjacent bistro. P

Sep 10th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Jo

If concerned about safety, Sun City is a good option. Although quite tacky itself, the resort has a good game reserve (Pilansburg) next to it. It is 100% safe and has good transport to/from Johannesburg airport. There are several good golf courses there and other activities.

Search this Thread