jogging in Egypt

Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:28 AM
Shirin

jogging in Egypt

Hi, I will be returning to my favourite country in the world to visit to take part in a charity event to raise money for humanitarian assistance for which I will be riding 250 miles on a bike around Egypt. I am also in training to take part in a duothalon a couple of months after the trip and need to maintain my jogging itinerary - I was wondering if there are any recommendations for good areas to jog in both Cairo and Luxor - and any precautions (such as air quality, traffic, temp - I will be there in late December). While I am at it - any recommendations for good, healthy vegetarian eateries?
Thanks a bundle for any assistance,
Shirin

Sep 25th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Karen

You said that you'll be returning to Egypt, but I am assuming you've never been to Cairo.

I was there last Fall, and I couldn't imagine jogging anywhere in that city. Attempting to cross any street is a feat in itself as the traffic is horrific and there don't seem to be many road rules.

Also, the air quality and temperature might be hinderances. After walking in white tennis shoes on the street, I came home to find my whole shoe and leg covered in black dust. I can only imagine what my lungs looked like!

In Luxor you will probably have more luck. It is a lot smaller and slower-paced.

Can't help you with vegetarian eateries but I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.

Sep 28th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Shirin

Thanks Karen - though, I was hoping for a more jogging friendly environment. The last time I was in Egypt I was quite young and don't recall actually looking for a jogging friendly environment.
I know there are quite a few tennis courts etc - so I may just make some rounds around that area - thanks for your response, nonetheless,
cheers,
shirin

Search this Thread