Joburg to South Luangwa...DIRECT FLIGHT!!!

Jul 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Joburg to South Luangwa...DIRECT FLIGHT!!!

>>>>>>Zambian Airways, along with the South Luangwa safari operators, continue to promote the most underrated safari season - the Emerald Season. We will not be producing any packages with specific lodges this year, but instead offering you reduced fares as follows.

To encourage late bookings from both Livingstone and Johannesburg we are publishing the following rates for Mfuwe flights from Joburg and Livingstone. These will be bookable from 01 October 2006, as explained in the conditions below.

$ 500 for Jnb/Mfu/Jnb, Jnb/Mfu/Lvi, Lvi/Mfu/Lvi, Lvi/Mfu/Jnb

Conditions -

Valid 01 November 2006 - 31 March 2007

Not valid during Christmas season (departure dates of 21 Dec 06 - 04 Jan 07)

Must stopover at Mfuwe, No stopovers at Lusaka

Booked within 30 days of departure date only

JNB departure tax of $42 additional to published fare.

No children discounts. Infants free of charge.
Date/name changes at $25 per person per sector, allowed only up to 24 hours before flight.

No refunds.

Point to point airline (we are not responsible for any missed connections.) No-shows are non-refundable.

Agencies' usual commission/payment structure applies

Booked only through Zambian Airways Email and Call Centres and at our Johannesburg office.

[email protected], +26-01-257655 (Zambia), [email protected] +27-11-6226313 (Johannesburg)

Freedom of Africa Alliance - Airwaves Zambia and Zambian Airways
Reservations: (+260) 1 257655
Marketing: (+260) 1 256586
www.airwaves.co.zm
www.zambianairways.com<<<<<<
Jul 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

This makes perfect sense due to the fact that Lower Zambezi and Kafue National Park are largely closed between November 01st to March 31st. Consequently, any safarigoing travelers are most likely headed to South Luangwa.

Then there is also the nice option that for $500 goes from Johannesburg to South Luangwa (Mfuwe) to Victoria Falls (Livingstone). This would also connect perfectly to Botswana, the Caprivi Strip of Namibia or Zimbabwe.

I have been told by one of my clients that there was recently a $100 each way flight on South African Airways between Johannesburg to Lusaka flight, and this is obviously in response to the new competition provided by Zambian Airways. With taxes, departure fees, etc., it worked out to about $130 each way.

Zambian Airways flights from Joburg to Lusaka are best found on Kulula Air's website:

www.kulula.com

As far as low season goes, there are some amazing deals available. For example:

Luangwa River Lodge - $380 pppns (stay 5 nights, get 6th night free). Therefore, it is possible to stay 6 nights for only $1900 per person sharing.

Puku Ridge - $300 per person per night sharing for last Emerald Season...I suspect that they will raise it by 20% to $360 per person per night sharing for this next Emerald Season...still an excellent value...anybody who has been to Puku Ridge and some of South Africa's finest lodges, realizes that Puku Ridge would be double the price in the Sabi Sand, yet offers a fantastic gameviewing experience and is one of only a very few within the national park.
Jul 15th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Thanks for posting!
Jul 15th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Rocco~ from above post:
"Booked within 30 days of departure date only" does this mean you can not book in advance? What if all lodges are booked and paid for, then the flight is sold out? I'd rather play it safe and fly ba into Lusaka, unless i'm reading this wrong.
Jul 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

This direct flight to Mfue, is it operational yet? or does it commence only end October?

Hari

Jul 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Hari~you thinking of going in the Emerald Season?
Jul 15th, 2006, 08:24 PM
santharamhari

Hi Dennis,

I was curious as to, if the direct flight to SL was operational yet.....if so, i thought i could try and add on a 3 night stay.....for next mth.

Hari

Jul 15th, 2006, 08:26 PM

ok hari, i think it starts from oct 1, where's rocco when you need him? probably at a wrestling match?!
Jul 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM
santharamhari

I know i emailed him, the moment i saw the thread........

Hari

Jul 15th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry guys...just finished watching Shane Mosely knockout Fernando Vargas on HBO Pay Per View.

The way I read it, the flights will not start until November 01st, but I will get a clarification up as soon as possible. May take a day or two.

The thought of being at the Mfuwe Airport within 3 hours after taking off from Joburg is very enticing. The Lusaka stopover is not so bad, but the direct flight will be great. Hopefully it will be expanded to high season for 2007 if it gets enough support.
Jul 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM

rocco~ can you get a clarification on the 30 day booking also? has me worried if i were to go next march. thanks, dennis
Jul 15th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Dennis,

Sure, no problem...I will get a definitive answer.

Thinking of doing a little time in South Africa? Cape Town would be beautiful in March.
Jul 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Rocco~just contemplating...DO NOT try and talk me into anything!!!
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Dennis,

Well, of course, my vote would be for a Serengeti / South Luangwa combo in March/April. Late March:

Hawaii - SFO - Amsterdam - Nairobi - Lusaka

Luangwa River Lodge (6)
Puku Ridge (3)
Nairobi (1)
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge (3) (April 01st to qualify for excellent rates)
Tanzania Under Canvas in Ndutu area of Serengeti (5)
Amsterdam (2 or 3)

(I don't think Nomad would be up to your high standards after you will have already experienced Luangwa River Lodge three times, Ntwala Island Lodge, Susuwe Island Lodge and some of the others).

Cape Town is a beautiful place, but not like the Serengeti during the rainy season. I think you would love the Crater Lodge and with a couple days in the Crater you would see an incredible amount of wildlife and in its least busy time of year.

http://www.ccafrica.com/reserve-1-id-2-12 (Crater Lodge)

http://www.ccafrica.com/reserve_camp-1-id-2-22

While most people favor Ngorongoro Crater for only one or two nights, in all honesty, I believe it is because they are staying at some pretty mediocre places. The Crater Lodge, on the other hand, is IN-CRED-I-BILE.

On the day of arrival, you could go out and do a mid afternoon to closing time game drive.

The next day you could do an all day game drive in the crater.

The next morning, sleep in and enjoy the atmosphere at Crater Lodge before doing another afternoon drive.

On checking out, enjoy a lazy morning at the lodge before heading out to the Serengeti. It just makes my head spin, especially after experiencing it, how East Africa (Northern Circuit Tanzania) travelers often spend 1-2 nights at each lodge/camp before racing off to the next destination. Kick up your heels and relax a little!

I definitely plan on returning to the Ndutu area next time the opportunity presents itself. It was a great experience.
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:18 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

Yes, the crater lodge is awesome!!! But, 3 nights there is over-kill. Simply because, once you get into the crater with the zillions of jeeps down there.....enuf to drive me away bk to the lodge.

Thanks for your email on the Mfue flight.

Hari

Jul 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Hari,

While it is not the most popular opinion, I know that I would have enjoyed one more night at the Crater Lodge (3 nights instead of 2 nights). I just don't like jumping around every couple nights and I did not think that the traffic in the Crater was enough to overshadow the incredible gameviewing. I do think April would offer the least amount of traffic in the Crater while also offering very good pricing at Crater Lodge.

However, if Tarangire and Lake Manyara were in season, I would agree that two nights would be sufficient, but with only Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti open in April (amongst Northern Circuit destinations), just one more reason to chill out at Crater Lodge for an extra night.
Jul 16th, 2006, 12:04 AM
santharamhari

Rocco,

Unfortunately, the only time i went to the crater was in early Sept. Yes, the game viewing was brilliant....however, the traffic and the so-called guides really doesnt make me want to rush bk to the crater.

On my next trip to Tanzania, i would probably just fly into one of the Serengeti airstrips and leave the same way. But Southern Tanzania is very very high on my list also.

Hari

Jul 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Well, some bad news on the supposed direct flight from Joburg to Mfuwe.

It is not a direct flight, at all, but rather a Kulula Air flight from Joburg to Lusaka that connects to a Zambian Airways flight to Mfuwe!

So really, the only thing special about it is that it offers about a $200 discount off normal pricing.

The normal flight from Joburg to Lusaka is about $125 per person each way, making it a $250 pp round trip.

The normal flight from Lusaka to Mfuwe is about $225 per person each way, making it a $450 pp round trip.

Therefore, it is a $200 savings to get yourself worked up to a near anxiety attack by waiting to book within 30 days! No thanks.

Sorry for sharing this one...from the press release it seemed like it was a direct flight into Mfuwe but it is not.
Jul 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
santharamhari

Thanks, Rocco......it is a shame.

Hari