joburg great eats?

Oct 18th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

joburg great eats?

Hi All

Heading to SA on safari and Vic Falls this Saturday. Between the two we are at the Holiday Inn in Joburg for one night. Any suggestions for a high end hip restaurant near the holiday inn or city centre? Is safety an issue if it is just my husband and I heading out to dinner? Sorry for the naive tone. I have never been to Joburg and just trying to be safe.
Oct 19th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Your problem if wanting to go to a good restaurant, will be transport. Most are in the Northern suburbs and taxis are (certainly by S.A. standards) expensive, R6 /km. My favourite "upmarket" Italian restaurant is Casalinga, www.casalinga.co.za, owned by Gary Player's daughter and her husband, and that is even further away, NW of greater Johannesburg.

But in case it's a help, you'll see that three of the www.eatout.co.za "top ten" are in Johannesburg: Linger Longer, Sides and Yum. I can certainly recommend Yum. Linger Longer is a more formal restaurant, which had I think a rave review in this forum recently. Sides is the restaurant at a great "boutique" hotel, 10 Bompas.

You'll find a short review of Yum on that Eatout site. And info on Yum and Linger Longer at www.dining-out.co.za, including menus. (But I think the "reviews" on that site are provided by the restaurants. So I use it mainly to see the menus.)

Yum also has its own site, www.yum.co.za. Sides will be found at the hotel site, www.tenbompas.com.

The "official" Jo'burg website also has some good suggestions: www.joburg.org.za/whatson/index_dining.stm. A good one might be Moyo, although I've yet to dine there. (Perhaps first choice should be the original one at Melrose Arch, there are two others in Jo'burg and one in the Cape Winelands.) Another personal favourite listed there is Bistro 277 (full name Bistro 277 on Main). But by design (as the word Bistro is meant to imply), no longer "posh" as that site calls it. That was true of its previous incarnation Ile de France, which had somewhat dated 70's decor. Magnificent food, but heavy carpeting and drapes etc. The new version is more casual, but much the same superb menu and cooking. Same owner/chef, and still the old website address: www.iledefrance.co.za.

You'll probably also find some of those latter restaurants at the "eatout" and "dining-out" websites.

You'll not have any safety issues, if you take obvious precautions and don't go wandering round "downtown" late at night.
Oct 19th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Hello,

I'll second the recommendation for Yum -- it was, well, yummy! There are quite a few nice restaurants in the Greenside area where Yum is found, including Cilantro.

Another good neighbourhood for restaurants is Melville -- it's also one of the few neighbourhoods in Joburg where you can feel safe walking around after dark (with the normal urban precautions, of course). Soi is a very nice Asian fusion place with an African touch, whereas Chaplin's is more traditional. Pomegranate is an intimate little restaurant where I had a delicious springbok filet.

Moyo is a bit touristy, IMO -- it's a fun place to eat with OTT Afro-chic decor and live entertainment, but go for the experience rather than the food.

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 21st, 2005, 04:22 PM

I would get transport to take you to Sandton. In the Rosebank Mall (nice place to shop- craft market) there is a restaurant called the Grill House. My sister and I had dinner there the night we stayed at the Grace Hotel- fantastic steak, and DO NOT pass up the mushrooms- they were the best I have ever had, and I do eat lots of mushrooms with meat!!! The entire dinner (including a glass of wine for each of us) was US$25 each including tip. I Would HIGHLY reccommend it!! It is even worth the drive to Rosebank!!!

Search this Thread