tanzania safari

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tanzania safari

Hi,
I need help/advice with plans for safari in Tanzania ,Serengeti/ngorongoro. I'm travelling solo ,looking for info on best time to travel ,camps/lodges,any other advice you might like to share.
thanks
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 01:53 AM

After much web research I found the africadreamsafaris.com website is way out the best for the type of information you are looking for. There is so much information available through google - just type "serengeti" or "tarangire" or "lake manyara" or "ngorongoro".
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 01:54 AM

Apologies - that should read www.africandreamsafaris.com
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:32 AM

Look at the report I wrote about these areas...

Honeymoon Tanzania & Pemba Sept 2005

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34487305
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Hello,

A bit more information would help us help you...

How long do you want to go?

Is there something in particular you want to see, e.g. the migration? Are there specific animals you hope to observe? Are you interested in birds as well as animals?

What sort of accommodation do you want? Do you prefer tented or non-tented? Do you want to stay in small camps or would you mind staying in large, hotel-like lodges? How much luxury do you want/need? Conversely, would you mind roughing it a bit?

Finally, what is your budget?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi,Julian.
Here are the basics Ihope to achieve 6/8 days serengeti,ngoronogoro
and maybe manyara and then 5/6 days beach.I would need comfortable accomodation with shower and toilet and reasonable food in tent or lodge. Price would be an issue but as of now I
have no definate budget. Migration mainly but smaller animals too. Will
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi, 50something, checked out that site very interesting, thanks. Will
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:10 PM

Hi Will,

What time of year do you plan to go? This makes a difference in terms of which places to spend your time.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
sandi

... and time of year will impact your budget. No need to guess, but the best animal game viewing is also (usually)the high-season. Something to consider, so do tell.

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

I'm easy about when ,except Christmas, thats family. What I want is good game viewing and dry weather and hot in Zanzibar,for sunbathing.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Folks.
Sorry that reply was a bit vague. Ideal time would be Feb/Mar 07 but late 06 would be good too.
P.S. are towns, Arusa ,Zanzibar,ect. safe to ramble and explore alone also are drinks ,snacks,expensive. thanks Will
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Feb/March would be a fantastic time to visit the Serengeti--from what I've heard.

Check out encounterzanzibar.com for information about weather at different times of year there. My guess is it's always hot and sometimes it rains and sometimes there's a breeze. Anyway, that's what it was like when we were there.

Leopard Tours: I have heard of them, but don't really remember what. I don't think it was anythig negative, but always try to research the safari outfitter you're thinking of using. After all, regardless of budget, one is spending a considerable amount of money to go on safari.

Two other companies that I've read put together nice trips for their clients at a good/budget price are Sunny Safaris and East African Touring and Safaris (EAST). If you do a search here you should find some remarks about both companies.

Don't worry this early about getting mugged in Stone Town or Arusha! You'll have plenty of time to worry those points after you've paid your deposit.

Seriously, I would take normal precautions in Stone Town. In Arusha the biggest hassle is the safari touts who want to book you on the spot. Neither place is "crime central." But we were 2 "girls," so people kept telling us to be careful. As a result, we may have been a little overly careful.

Expenses for dinner, etc.: well, hopefully others can comment. I would say it's less expensive for some things than in the US or UK, but as or more expensive for others. Great answer, huh? When we were on the beach in Zanz. we were on a half-board plan so we only paid for lunch and alcohol and water, I think. This didn't add up to much, maybe 20USD/day?

In Stone Town we spent more, I'm sure. More, maybe, than we thought we would, but we just decided not to worry about it and eat and buy whatever we wanted. I think it could certainly be a less expensive destination.

Good luck!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Bushtroop safaris.anybody know them?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Leely where are you???
I need help I have a deluge of safari companys and can't choose. The 2 I really need to know about are Basecamp and bushtroop. Please reply.THANKS
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:15 PM

wexfordwil,
As you have by now discovered, there is no shortage of Tanzanian tour operators/safari outfitters.

I think I've heard good remarks about Basecamp on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Africa branch. I have never heard of Bushtroop. Definitely post a question there.

I want to say that maybe there are two operators called Basecamp--one in Kenya and one called "basecamptanzania" in TZ. Make sure you're dealing with the correct one.

Have you sent an itinerary to these operators? If so, what did it look like and what quotes have they come back with?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Leely,
Thanks for reply, I've had replies from both operators and Basecamp come out way ahead, mix of tent and lodge,great itinerary and good price,and they sent e-mail addresses for checks, do I just mail these people
for comments?
Sorry ,Basecamp Tanzania is who I'm dealing with,pretty much decided to go with them, unless I hear something horrible,not likely I think(hope)anyway
like to hear your comments,or anybody else who has one. Bye!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:49 PM

I've read some positive comments about Basecamp on the LP Thorntree board as well. I believe the guy (achnab?) that runs it is a regular on that and a few other travel boards. He seems like a nice guy, always offering helpful advice.

Would you mind posting the itinerary they offered you?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:59 PM

That sounds great! When you e-mail the former clients see if any of them would be willing to talk to you on the phone. Sometimes it's easier to get into details that way.

But I agree with Patty; haven't heard anything bad about Basecamp. And if you're willing to share, I'd love to see your itinerary.

Pretty exciting, huh? You're going to Tanzania!