Search

Business Class to Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Betsy

Business Class to Cape Town

I've been trying to figure out if there is any way to use American Airlines Frequent Flyer miles to fly to south Africa. the official word is NO, but has anyone had any success? AA tells me I could only do BC to London, but I don't care about that leg of the trip. Or does anyone have a way to travel which has legs of less than 9 or 10 hours?<BR><BR>Thanks for any help. I'm wanting to repeat a trip of 10 years ago to South Africa.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Betsy,<BR><BR>Why dont you go to <BR><BR>http://directory.google.com/Top/Recreation/Travel/Transportation/Air/Frequent_Flyer_Programs/<BR><BR>The site is self explantory. I know of folks who have very succesfully used two of the airmile traders in the list viz:<BR><BR>http://www.mrmileage.com/ and <BR><BR>http://www.air-awards.com/ <BR><BR>By going to the above sites you might be able to trade your AA miles for Delta (SAA) or maybe even do a direct buy of pretty cheap business class ticket(s)to SA.<BR><BR>Just my twopence or should I say twomiles worth. )<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR><BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Liz Frazier

Using AA Miles, you would fly AA from the U.S. to London, and British Airways from London to J'burg. It takes 75,000 miles each for coach class. Each leg would be less than 10 hours, I believe, if you are from the U.S. At least thats what they told me at AA. We will do that in 2004, but I think we will go to East Africa for that trip. As I recall, Business Class is 150,000 miles each. You can find this all on Americans website, www.aa.com. If you're from somewhere else, I don't know the mileage requirements. Liz

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:35 AM
x

NY to Johannesburg Delta/SAA is 80K miles for an economy clas ticket. Delta accepts AmEx miles. But I have these American miles I'd like to use - tell me if there a website where you can TRADE, not SELL, your excess or unusable FF miles. I look at all the above sites, no luck.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Wulfstan

Try AA again, this time ask for a Cathay Pacific award........tons of ppl have done it...takes 50K in AA pts for a business class seat....or go to flyertalk.com and post there.....the real heavy users of frequent flier miles. GL

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Wulfstan

Oops the award for that ticket is 100,000k miles per person....sorry up late!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:16 AM
x

Just a suggestion: if you DEFINITELY KNOW a website where they will TRADE FF miles, then post it, by name. I have tried the ones you mention - they do NOT trade. They will sell you FF miles or a ticket.<BR><BR>Delta will give you a SAA economy ticket for 80,000 miles - using their 331-day rule, which I assume you understand. Delta also accepts AmEx miles. There are no blackout dates except four days in April and four in December. This is a simpler way to get to CT or J.Burg - via Atlanta on SAA #210, 10:30 a.m. departure. It is cattle car conditions, but thankfully only 14.5 hours NS to CT, an hour there, and another two to J'Burg.