JNB on Priceline.com

May 31st, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

JNB on Priceline.com

Just an FYI that the SAA flights are on Priceline, as least out of IAD. You have to make sure you're bidding on one of the days they fly. You can check hotwire.com to see if a cheap fare comes up. If the tax is about $160, that's the SAA flights. If it's more like $250, that's probably one of the European route flights and right now are more expensive. There are a number of "free bids" -- the three area airports, jet and non-jet and number of connections -- though I suppose there is a risk of getting on some multi-connected journey, but it didn't happen to me. I'm returning on Labor Day, so it's a really expensive time to fly. With sidestep and kayak, the cheapest fares were about $1,700 and the SAA at $1,900. I started bidding at $1,000 and did my last free bid at $1,205. I accepted the $1,287 counteroffer because I was out of free bids. I'm sure other dates are much, much cheaper than mine, esp. with the specials for those who can leave before Aug. 15th.
May 31st, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

I would note that the Priceline rates are pretty similar to consolidator fares booked through Premier Tours.

Search this Thread