Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   JNB Luggage Storage--Time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/jnb-luggage-storage-time-840123/)

KissyPants May 13th, 2010 11:41 AM

JNB Luggage Storage--Time?

We depart Livingstone at 1:20, arriving in JNB at 3:10PM, and then depart JNB for the U.S. at 5:45PM. So, about a 2 1/2 hour layover. We are carrying on our bags and not checking anything.

Due to luggage restrictions while on safari (one small bag and 44LBs max!), we are considering leaving our in-flight comforts (travel pillows, blankets, eye masks, etc.) in luggage storage at JNB upon arrival from the US and picking them up upon arrival from Livingstone and before heading back to the US. Never having been to JNB, I'm wondering whether this is enough time to retrieve our bag from storage and go back through security for our 5:45 flight or if it's too tight. For example, are the security lines long at JNB? Are the SAA flights from Livingstone always delayed? This will be the first week of June on a Monday. Any other ideas of what to do with our in-flight comfort stuff (other than lug it around?)
I appreciate any thoughts on this--thank you!

Patty May 13th, 2010 02:39 PM

Either way you'll go through security. If you remain in transit, you'll go through a different security line.

Assuming left luggage is landside, you would also need to go through passport control twice when collecting your bag. Same on the inbound when dropping off your bag (unless you're entering South Africa anyway). Seems like a hassle to me.

You can pack a lot into 44 lbs.

cary999 May 13th, 2010 03:04 PM

Of course leave nothing of value or that might look like it on an x-ray. No jewelry, camera, laptop, binoculars, anything that looks "electronic". Just dirty clothes!!

regards - tom

HariS May 13th, 2010 06:34 PM

Not worth it dealing with left luggage. You never know if flights are delayed etc etc., Plus 44 lbs is plenty of luggage, particularly when you get daily laundry service at the lodges.

Doesn't the airline provide blankets on your long flight from the US to JNB?

KensingtonGirl May 13th, 2010 07:11 PM

In economy on SAA last month from JNB to IAD, we got pillows, blankets and a packet that contained nice eye masks. We did a similar connection from Livingstone and the flight was on time but we had to wait for buses to come take us from the plane to the terminal at JNB. We then had to go to the transit counter to show our passports and get the next boarding pass for the JNB to IAD flight leg (and we were on SAA from Livingstone but they could only give us the first flight's boarding pass). After that we went through a security check. We had about 30 minutes for shopping and then we lined up again for the second security check at the gate. This consisted of a body pat down and a hand search of all carry ons. I think you are chancing missing your flight just for pillows and blankets that you can get on the plane.

Note if you stop in Dakar on the way back, you will be woken up and all blankets and pillows put on the floor for landing and take off. During the stop you will have to put your carry-ons in your lap while they do the security inspection.

KissyPants May 14th, 2010 04:58 AM

Thanks everyone--sounds like we should try to fit everything in our bags. My partner insists on flying with those huge first class sleeper inflatable pillows, so he's just going to have to fit it in his bag!! Thanks again for helping sort this out...12 days to go!