JNB Airport Logistics

Nov 17th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

JNB Airport Logistics

I'm getting ready to book flights for an April 2005 trip to S.A. We will be starting off in Los Angeles and going through London to Jo'Burg. From there we will fly directly to Durban. How many hours should we leave between landing at JNB and the flight to Durban to be on the safe side? How long does customs take? Are the domestic and international terminals separate and if so, how long does it take to travel between them. I'm assuming we will have to claim our baggage and re-check it because the flight to Durban will be on a different airline that the LHR-JNB leg.

Nov 17th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Jammie - The customs formalities don't take very long (it took us 5 minutes for a family of 4). Be prepared to be inundated with people trying to be helpful. They will look for a tip for something as simple as pushing an elevator button. They will try and take charge of your baggage trolley. I would recommend finding out from the airline exactly where their check-in counters are - do this whether you want "help" or not.

We transfered from SAA to National and had to exit the international terminal and go to the domestic terminal. The checkin was one floor above where we entered. All along the way were people insisting I was going the wrong way and they would help get me going in the proper direction. I had asked in the area we collected our luggage - so I knew we were correct.
Nov 24th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Favor is right. Though I always use a porter, they haev never steered me wrong and $5 which is little to me, goes a long way for them

Search this Thread