Search

Honeymoon Itinerary for SA and Mauritius

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:03 AM
J9
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Itinerary for SA and Mauritius

We are planning to honeymoon in South Africa and Mauritius in January 2005. So far our plans are as follows:
3 days in Le Quartier Francais in Franschoek
3 days in Cape Grace in Cape Town
2 days in Singita Ebony
2 days in Singita Sweni
5 days at the Oberoi in Mauritius

If someone has stayed at the above places, please tell me that they are worth their extravagant rates! Also, are there any particular rooms we want to request or stay away from at the above? Is it worthwhile to move between lodges at Singita? Finally, since we are in "rainy" season in both SA and Mauritius, what will we be unable to do? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:59 PM
J9
Original Poster

TTT
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:13 AM

Hello J9

I have stayed at all excpet the Oberoi.
Le Wuatier Francais - Awesome
Cape Grace - great but I personally prefer something not right on the waterfront and my favourite is Constantia Uitsig or Ellerman House
Singita Ebony and Sweni - 4 days...I would find this a bit much, would do singita Ebony and Londolozi tree camp or for something very different Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:29 AM

J9,

I agree with SAGirl about not wanting to be right on the Waterfront, especially for your honeymoon. If you want a more exclusive experience that is only a 5 minute taxi ride away from Camps Bay, I would definitely vote for the Twelve Apostles.

While you would likely spend a minimum of about $2,000 for a nice room for your 3 night stay at the Cape Grace or the Ellerman House, there is a fabulous package available on Luxury Link (www.luxurylink.com) for a 3 night stay at the Twelve Apostles.

I would recommend a Friday night to Sunday night stay when there will be virtually no traffic in the area and it will just be the crashing waves against the rocks at your front doorstep and the beautiful Twelve Apostles mountain range at your back doorstep. I took this package last year and I loved it, and two other Fodorites have also taken this package and raved about it. Chances are that you will be able to get it for only $845, an amazing bargain for high season, or any season, in Cape Town for a hotel of this magnitude.

Here are the package details:

Cosmopolitan nights and days of natural splendor are yours with this decadent departure for two, which includes:

3 nights in a luxurious king-bedded Superior Sea Facing guestroom
Your stay at The Twelve Apostles will be tranquil and soothing in these beautifully appointed accommodations decorated with understated elegance and designed to make your visit a heavenly one!

Champagne and fresh flowers in room upon arrival
Full breakfast for two each day
Afternoon tea for two on one day of your choice
Enjoy unparalleled views of the Atlantic Coast while taking a traditional tea break in the Leopard Room Lounge

'Dinner and a Movie' for two on one evening of your choice during your stay
Savor world cuisines with a flavorful touch of Africa and indulge your palate and your senses at The Twelve Apostles' Azure Restaurant followed by a movie in the Cine 12 private hotel cinema

24-hour room service, deluxe bath amenities, plush bathrobes and slippers, nightly turn-down service, and daily newspaper
Taxes and gratuities for included items

This package may be taken anytime between June 10, 2004 and April 30, 2005, subject to availability at time of booking. Blackout dates may apply.

The retail value of this package is: $2117.00* The current highest bid: $845.00
This auction began: August 18, 2004 Bid Increment: $20.00
This auction closes: August 23, 09:30:00 AM PDT The Minimum Bid is Now: $845.00

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM

Rooc are yout he marketing representative for the twelve apostels hotel or for luxurey link, it seems that you think there is not better hotel in Cape town. I would not go that far out, I think the 12apostels is a little isolated and I hated the act that it destoyed a little piece of Table Mountain, i find The Bay which is gorgeous more for honeymooners as there is a whole lot more to do in walking distance to The Bay than there is near the 12 apostles
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 11:45 AM
J9
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Hello J9,

This won't answer your question about the accommodations, with which I am not personally familiar.

However, I'd like to set your mind at rest about rain in South Africa in January.

Cape Town and the winelands have a mediterranean climate, which means they get most of their rain in winter. I have experienced rain in Cape Town in January, but clear, sunny skies predominate during that month.

As far as the Mpumalanga game reserves are concerned, they can be hellishly hot and humid in January. However, game drives take place during the cooler mornings and evenings. During the hottest part of the day, you'd be able to swim or relax with a book in the shade. Summer rains usually occur in the form of short afternoon or evening showers.

Sorry, don't have experience of Mauritius.

Hope you have a great trip.