JFK to Cairo

Jan 21st, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

JFK to Cairo

Anyone taken the air train at JFK? JFK website says things like "When it opens in 2003 . . . ." Is it open? If so, does it work well. Have short time to get from terminal 3 to 4.
Carolyn in Texas
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:55 AM

It is open and yes it does work well. The only problem I have with it, is the many stairs up and down you have to climb and go down to actually get to and from the train. I've only used it once so don't have details, but I just seem to remember going up and down (maybe we went the wrong way ).
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:22 PM
sandi

AAFF -

Living in NYC, we've heard about it (for years) yet don't know anyone who has used it either from where it connects to the NYC Subway or Long Island Railroad stations to/from JFK or within the airport.

Can I presume you used it to get between terminals? Or to get from airport to subway/rail station?

If either, I can imagine why you walked up/down stairs - the train rides on a rail above ground at the level of "departures." So if you arrive at any terminal and have to gather luggage (lower level) then go to the train - the train is at the upper level.

And it seems that you're there aren't any escalators? If not, that's "dumb" especially for passengers with luggage, even a small 22" rollaboard.

If it is only stairs!!!! - it would be best to gather luggage from lower baggage claim level, take escalator (or elevator) inside terminal to the upper level departures and out the door to the train.

Very interesting!!!

Jan 21st, 2004, 01:06 PM

Sandi,

I only used it once between the terminals. As I said, we were engaged in a lively conversation and I was not paying attention. There were escalators, so that wasn't the problem, but I do remember doing it twice??? (I think, meaning once up, once down, once up again, and finally down). Don't hold me to this .
Anyway the train worked fine and it was quick.
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:28 PM
sandi

AAFF -

Glad to hear that it worked. It's been years that we've been waiting on some means of transport between terminals "above (or below) ground."

Search this Thread