Jewish in Morocco

Apr 26th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Josh

Jewish in Morocco

Hi-
I'm traveling to Spain in a few weeks, and would really like to spend a few days in Morocco. Being Jewish (and American), is this a bad idea? Obviously, I wouldn't advertise my heritage or get into any political arguments, but I'm just trying to get a sense of the prevailing mood from anyone who has been there recently. Is there strong public anti-American or anti-Jewish sentiment? Demonstrations/rallies/violence?
My intended destination, should I end up going, is Fez. Any safety tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Josh

Apr 26th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Faina

I remember earlier somebody posted an advise: get a t-shirt saying kiss me I'm Irish. This may work

Apr 29th, 2002, 08:52 AM
J

I'm in the same situation as Josh. Anybody out there have any input on his questions?

Apr 29th, 2002, 11:43 AM

Simple...dont go. Regardless of your religion. Morocco is dirty, run down, dangerous with people trying to rip you off

Apr 29th, 2002, 12:13 PM
gail

Don't know about Morocco, but when we were in Egypt there was a lot of discussion about difficulty with entry into some countries with US passport if it had been stamped in Israel. Just another thing to worry about if you have included Israel in your past travels.

Apr 30th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Josh

Hey J-
When are you planning to go? If our plans intersect, maybe we can meet up (safety in numbers...)
Josh

May 8th, 2002, 05:18 PM
k

I have traveled extensively in Morocco, and thought it was an amazing trip. I am Jewish, and visited the Jewish community in Fez (synagogue, historic sites, etc.). However, I wouldn't do so now because I can't see the point of spending my tourist dollars in a nation which is so adverse to Jews (I'd refer you to articles atwww.israelinsider.com about the persecution of the Jewish community in North Africa). If you are going to actively support the Jewish community there, that's one thing. If not...

Of course, since now Jews everywhere seem to be persecuted, this policy would limit your travel plans considerably. I just bring it up as something to think about.

May 15th, 2002, 04:26 AM
ougunir

hi JOSH,

i'm Moroccan,and know very good my country,is too safe and you can come when you want without problems"you welcome".Moroccan people are very nice in each place where you go and anyone cant do for you anythings bad.
we belive all time to dialog betwin people that is the best way to make a good relation with evry one.

i have a notice about person who reply you is [email protected]
wrote moroccoo is dirty ...and dangerous (see his/her message),did he /she visited Morocco yet ???????
is totaly different and we say: you must visit to see and judje and i can justify with a lot of people coming from all countries (usa,french,england,spain...),did they find morocco dirty??????????sure no.
you welcome
the best wishes
ougunir

May 15th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Allison

My husband and I are both Jewish and visited Morocco in December. We were supposed to go in late September but postponed our trip a few months to get a better handle on the situation after 9/11. We ended up going and felt very safe. In general, there were a lot of European tourists in Marrakesh (but hardly any tourists in Fes or any Americans anywhere). Most people we met assumed we were from anywhere other than the States as there were so few Americans and the religion discussion never really came up (other than our flight left xmas day and some people wanted to know what we were doing for xmas when we got home). If you have more questions, feel free to email me.

May 23rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
Vickie

Hi Josh,

I was in Morocco in November. I am a single female and while I travelled with a small group of 11 other people I never, ever felt unsafe. Four people in our group are Jewish and felt the same way. In fact, Maroc has alot of Jewish history and has had a long standing good relationship with the Jews. The country is really beautiful and the people spoiled us rotten. They constantly tried to be helpful and told us repeatedly, "Welcome to Morocco, your second country". I hope you will go and enjoy yourself there. Just remember not to judge the country by Tangiers. The desert is spectacular and the mountains breath taking.

Search this Thread