Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Jerusalem to Dead Sea (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/jerusalem-to-dead-sea-537356/)

maxwell Jun 16th, 2005 05:26 PM

Jerusalem to Dead Sea

Does anyone have good suggestions as to how I could get to the Dead Sea (not sure which hotel I want to stay at yet) from Jerusalem - other than renting a car? I'm going to be traveling by myself and really don't feel comfortable driving by myself. From my reading it appears that the egged buses aren't terribly convenient for this route, but perhaps I'm mistaken?
I know I can do a day trip easily w/a tour co out of Jerusalem, but I really wanted to spent one or two nights there.

eri Jun 17th, 2005 09:53 AM

Egged buses are convenient and efficient. I see no reason why not to use their services.

maxwell Jun 17th, 2005 04:59 PM

I was actually trying to get there on a Saturday...so it appears there is no bus service. Does anyone have other ideas for me to get from Jer to Dead Sea (Le Merdedien)? Thanks!

eri Jun 17th, 2005 10:31 PM

Maxwell,
You are right. There ia no bus service on Saturday. I guess taxi is your only option (or a rented car).

Mamamia Jun 18th, 2005 07:48 PM

You can rent a decent car in Israel for about $35 a day. I would rather do that. That way you can stop along the way in interesting places, take the time to go up on the Massada (climb by foot or take the cable car), visit the Ein Gedi nature preserve, and drive back up the mountains thru Arad and downhill, back to Jerusalem.

eri Jun 19th, 2005 12:30 AM

I totally agree with Mamamia. The roads are in good condition, the scenery is quite beautiful, and you will get to see a lot.

maxwell Jun 19th, 2005 05:07 AM

How much of the roads are in moutains? I've been living in places like NYC for the past 10 years where I don't drive, so am a little nervous about the whole driving thing. and although I have no issues being a female traveling by myself, I wasn't sure if this was the smartest idea for me to set out in a car alone, but maybe it will be fine.

Thanks for everyone's help - I just planned this trip at the last minute and am now scrambling to get everything figured out in two weeks!!

rkkwan Jun 19th, 2005 06:50 PM

The roads are a little steep dropping down to the Jordan Valley/Dead Sea, but nothing particularly curvy or dangerous. Really nothing to worry about.

elaine Jun 20th, 2005 03:33 PM

I'm taking my first trip to the area myself next week, but I imagine one could hire a car with a driver. Perhaps your hotel could advise?

Weezie Jun 20th, 2005 04:18 PM

please post trip reports when you have returned. I am going next month and I need some new info!

elaine Jun 20th, 2005 04:44 PM

I'm glad to hear that we're not the only ones traveling there in summer!
What have your previous visits been like? We are spending two nights in Eilat (one day trip to Petra) and then 6 nights in Jerusalem, with daytrips planned.

eri Jun 21st, 2005 11:00 AM

Hello all of you!
Do you have any idea how hot it is in those areas in the summer? You are really a brave bunch of people. We, the Israelis, try to avoid the Dead Sea, Eilat and Petra in the summer. The tempratures in Eilat, for example, today are high 103 low 80!!! The Dead Sea is even hotter.

Mommar Jun 21st, 2005 04:06 PM

We leave tomorrow for Israel - can't wait!!

maxwell Jun 21st, 2005 07:09 PM

Eri, I'm trying to convince myself I won't be that hot! :) The funny thing is that I usually avoid extreme temps when vacationing, but now I find myself actually thrilled at the idea of camping in Wadi Rum one night! in july! This must give you an idea of how excited I am to see Israel and Jordan.

Jed605 Jun 25th, 2005 12:57 PM

the drive is not hard. try it! you can stay at the ein gedi kibbutz guest house. 08-658-4285
where you stay in Jerusalem post an ad looking for a driving partner

Iv Aug 13th, 2005 12:26 PM

Could anyone give me advice on accommodation at the Dead Sea (Israeli side) in November. I will be staying for 10 days partly for health reasons but also to do some travelling

elaine Aug 13th, 2005 02:34 PM

I was only at a Dead Sea hotel on a day pass, we had been to Masada, and were returning to Jerusalem in a private car after a few hours at the hotel for lunch and some time in the water.

When we arrived at 'our' hotel, so did a couple of large bus groups. The dining room and lobby became very loud and and congested, and the bathrooms and changing areas became overcrowded, dirty, and overwhelmed.
I don't recall the name of the hotel we visited, we had a functional but not
refined, experience. What I would suggest, is that if possible, find a hotel, perhaps a smaller one, that doesn't cater to bus tour groups.

Benji0702 Sep 6th, 2005 04:40 PM

Do you know if the Massada cable car is operating on Saturday as it would be a real shame to get all the way down there and not be able to see Massada?

elaine Sep 6th, 2005 04:49 PM

open daily

http://www.parks.org.il/ParksENG/com...CNumber=853401