Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Jerusalem and Tel Aviv (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/jerusalem-and-tel-aviv-1018721/)

lovely2c Jul 1st, 2014 12:28 PM

Jerusalem and Tel Aviv

I have taken a couple Israel tours, both with the "standard" itinerary. I want to go back but only to Jerusalem (to explore the city) and to Tel Aviv (to explore the city and take a couple day trips). While fascinating, I don't want to go to the Dead Sea, Masada, Golan Heights and other standard places to see as I have already done that - twice. I am a very senior citizen (but no disabilities) and slightly reluctant to visit these two cities on my own. I don't speak Hebrew and it has surprised me how many Israelis don't speak English.
There are so many one-week packages of cities all over the world but I am not aware of anything like that in Israel. Does anyone know of any?

mbgg Jul 2nd, 2014 03:14 AM

I don't see why you are reluctant to base yourself in these two cities. There os mo problem getting around on your own. If you stay longer than a week in each you should look at renting a holiday apartment rather than staying in a hotel.

Another option that may interest you is volunteering. There are several programs that include room, board and tours aimed at senior retires. Look at the CAARI program run by the JNF and the SAREL program, volunteering with the IDF.
www.caarivolunteers.com
www.sar-el.org

gertie3751 Jul 2nd, 2014 07:10 AM

I have just organised myself a 10 day trip to Israel based in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. When I get there I will find a tour company (Egged?) that does day trips to various places. Not difficult at all. I also found some one-week packages with Explore and G Adventures but these may not be your thing!

lovely2c Jul 2nd, 2014 08:39 AM

gertie3751 - Thank you for your reply. Just one comment - please take a look at the Trip Advisors comments re Egged - not good.

gertie3751 Jul 2nd, 2014 10:31 AM

Thank you. They certainly have mixed reviews! And if it doesnt work out, there are plenty of other tour companies. Or the public buses....they are run by Egged as well!!

mbgg Jul 2nd, 2014 07:11 PM

Most of the one-day tours get mixed reviews: they waste too much time picking up and dropping off people at multiple locations, the participants are an eclectic lot (different ages, interests, languages, etc). The company that consistently gets good reviews is Abraham Tours, based in Jerusalem :
www.abrahamtours.com

gertie3751 Jul 2nd, 2014 07:22 PM

Thank you mbgg. I have found Abraham. And also another promising one called Green Olive. Tours do spend a lot of time picking up and dropping off as you say, but the thing that really upsets me is the shopping and long lunches. All that time wasted!

mbgg Jul 2nd, 2014 09:08 PM

Be aware that Green Olive Tours are extremely political and present exclusively only one side of the picture.